Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Installed gears...now it whines: Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed gears...now it whines: Advice?

I bought a used housing with 4.10s, posi, etc. The housing had no brackets on it so I swapped everything into a second housing. This is not my first gear swap, this would be axle number 4 for me. Every other axle went very smooth and worked like a top afterwards. This-one however is being a little punk.

The final gear pattern that I settled on was actually quite decent. There was no movement when you hold the pinion and move the carrier. The wear was centered on both the coast and drive side of the gears.

The pinion pre-load was set at 29 inch/lbs.

However, anything above 10mph it whines like a SOB... But only when power is applied or at cruise, the coast side is quiet??

I called my local Drive-line shop for a quote to have them set it up. They gave me a decent price, but it's going to take atleast 2 weeks They also told me that because of the location of the axle in F-bodies, and the Richmond Gears (4.10s) they are typically loud??

So, is it possible the reason I was able to get the axle so cheap is because the gears where whining? Or does it sound like I need more backlash? I know pictures of the pattern would help, I'll try to get them this evening or tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:27 PM

I also installed a UMI adjustable torque arm at the same time, is there anyway that the torque arm is amplifying the whine? Or the pinion angle is so off that it is making it whine?

I didn't set the angle, I just installed it. I planned to drive it to work and set it on our alingment rack. That way I knew the car was level, and I could be under it.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4:10 Richmonds are noisy but whine on accel and not one coast indicates a set up problem. Your backlash method needs to be more precise and you didn't quote carrier preload. I would wait for the installer to set it up, if you trust him otherwise open it up and do a little more work on the setup.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DaddySS
4:10 Richmonds are noisy but whine on accel and not one coast indicates a set up problem. Your backlash method needs to be more precise and you didn't quote carrier preload. I would wait for the installer to set it up, if you trust him otherwise open it up and do a little more work on the setup.
Ok, I think It needs less backlash. There is no play in the ring/pinion, where there should be some.

Correct?