Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 9 inch with no rear abs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford 9 inch with no rear abs?

I am getting a rear end swap done and was curious where is the rear ABS sensor located? Is it in the POSI or is it on the axles? The rear end I am getting does not have TCS or ABS on it, and was wondering what I would need to do to make it work with ABS and TCS moving forward?

What bad things will happen when I put in the 9inch with no ABS or TCS provisioning in the rear of the car which has 4 wheel abs and TCS?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2003, 11:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sununix69
I am getting a rear end swap done and was curious where is the rear ABS sensor located? Is it in the POSI or is it on the axles? The rear end I am getting does not have TCS or ABS on it, and was wondering what I would need to do to make it work with ABS and TCS moving forward?

What bad things will happen when I put in the 9inch with no ABS or TCS provisioning in the rear of the car which has 4 wheel abs and TCS?

Thanks
first of all you cant hook up tcs to a 9" but now they do have a 9" with the abs setup on the differential but not at the axles. so if you have a car without tcs 9" is great but if it has tcs then your screwed becasue it wont have the differential type sensor anyway. thats why i went with the 12-bolt. its working great anyway.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sununix69

Thanks
bad stuff. your *** end will catch up with the front end when its wet and you lock up the breaks. then you will cause you just busted up the car, then you will for not getting the abs. any more questions
Old 12-18-2003, 01:19 AM
Launching!

**** then no dice I guess :-(
But I was getting it parts and installation for $1200 =(
Old 12-18-2003, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
first of all you cant hook up tcs to a 9" but now they do have a 9" with the abs setup on the differential but not at the axles. so if you have a car without tcs 9" is great but if it has tcs then your screwed becasue it wont have the differential type sensor anyway. thats why i went with the 12-bolt. its working great anyway.
I thought Moser has a 9" setup for the TCS cars now.

Might want to give them a call and get the scoop.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rodent
I thought Moser has a 9" setup for the TCS cars now.

Might want to give them a call and get the scoop.

They do have the ABS/TCS option for the 9in. I know becase i have it in mine.
It works fine other than the fact that the Detroit Locker and TCS don't like each other.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 9" is will work with 4 channel ABS/TCS but not with 3 channel ABS, I have a 9" and my car has 3 channel abs, so the abs just doesnt work, and the light on the dash says ABS inop
Old 12-18-2003, 09:45 AM
kp
8 Second Club

If its not hooked up the abs/tcs will simply not work.

They made cars for nearly 100 years without abs and tcs and people survived just fine

Besides, if you put some different sized tires on the front and rear the abs tcs will not work anyhow - and sometimes it doesnt shut itself down like it should. Try stopping the car at 125mph on a dragstrip with a short shutdown when the ABS 'thinks' the rear wheels are locking up and the ABS kicks in. Loads of fun when you can stand on the brakes as hard as you can and the car barely slows down..

But anyhow, since the you have the reluctors on the axles and your backing plates have the sensors you should be able to use your backing plates but I'm not sure if moser machines all their f-body axles for the wheels - may have to get that done to get the reluctor wheels on..
Old 12-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kp
If its not hooked up the abs/tcs will simply not work.

They made cars for nearly 100 years without abs and tcs and people survived just fine

Besides, if you put some different sized tires on the front and rear the abs tcs will not work anyhow - and sometimes it doesnt shut itself down like it should. Try stopping the car at 125mph on a dragstrip with a short shutdown when the ABS 'thinks' the rear wheels are locking up and the ABS kicks in. Loads of fun when you can stand on the brakes as hard as you can and the car barely slows down..

But anyhow, since the you have the reluctors on the axles and your backing plates have the sensors you should be able to use your backing plates but I'm not sure if moser machines all their f-body axles for the wheels - may have to get that done to get the reluctor wheels on..
Great thanks for the info.. i will check with moser and see if they have it avaliable. But do you think what you are saying could be done by a local rear end shop?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

You will have to call moser and see if the axles are machined for the ABS reluctors - that may be. You will have to get new bearings if the rear already has backing plates on it since they have to be pressed off to get the wheels on.

This only applies if you have 4 channed ABS (sensor on each backing plate).
Old 12-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kp
You will have to call moser and see if the axles are machined for the ABS reluctors - that may be. You will have to get new bearings if the rear already has backing plates on it since they have to be pressed off to get the wheels on.

This only applies if you have 4 channed ABS (sensor on each backing plate).

I have a 2002 M6 TA with TCS from he factory and four wheel ABS. How do I find out what series carrier I have?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2003, 04:16 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I run a moser 9 and you have to request for a 4 channel setup. It works flawless,
Old 12-19-2003, 05:52 AM
11 Second Club

i have a 9 inch with the abs/tcs unhooked and i dont have any problems other than the dash lights being on.

i can see where the locker and tcs would want to fight.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
....Try stopping the car at 125mph on a dragstrip with a short shutdown when the ABS 'thinks' the rear wheels are locking up and the ABS kicks in. Loads of fun when you can stand on the brakes as hard as you can and the car barely slows down..
Parachute mod!
Old 12-21-2003, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 42NightZ28
They do have the ABS/TCS option for the 9in. I know becase i have it in mine.
It works fine other than the fact that the Detroit Locker and TCS don't like each other.
oh sorry, my bad i was told not to get the 9" by many for that reason.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Banned

Yes, There is NO company that makes a 3-channel ABS (ABS ONLY) in a 9", because there is no where to mount the reluctor ring/sensor on the pumpkin.

There is 4-channel ABS (TCS + ABS) availability for 9" through Moser at least.

If you need any help in your decision, let me know we are the largest moser 4th gen f-body dealer on the east coast. We can hook you up with a great price as we have many sales running right now.

My direct line - 516-779-2330

- Matt
Old 12-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Great matt will be giving you a call in Jan. I got the rear put in already no issues other than the light being on. But in jan if ic an send the axles to you to get the reluctor rings put on we will be "big pimpin"

Btw its a newer Currey 9"
:-)
Old 12-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Banned

lol... Yes, we have a shop that we use to do the machine work. I don't forsee it being a problem, I'll work up a price quote for ya.

- Matt

Quick Reply: Ford 9 inch with no rear abs?