Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4.11's These possible?

Old 12-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.11's These possible?

Hey all, I just scored a set of gears for my car from a mechanic friend of mine. He said they came off an S10 or something that'd been modded/converted.. and that they would fit my car. I guess what I want to know is, I haven't seen many people with 4.11 ratios. These gears are GM as indicated on them:

-9-37-GM on the pinion. (similar markings on the ring)

Is it just that these are factory gears and aftermarket companies don't make them to fit our 7.5 rears? Or is there a way I can tell specifically if these gears will work with my car? Measurements?

Thanks guys, I just wanna make sure since I'm going to be ordering a TA Girdle, and if I need new gears, I'll order them with it and sell these.

Thanks,

Mat
Old 12-18-2003, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have 4.11's as long as they are the right size.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mcflyz28
I have 4.11's as long as they are the right size.
Right on.. any problems with your (I'm assuming) stock rear and those gears? You have a quite a few mods.. how many miles on that rear with those gears?

Thanks man,

Last edited by NightRiderWS6; 12-18-2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

5000, I get a slight whine around 60-65 mph with street tires all I do is spin, you can only hear it cruising with the windows up and everyone else who rides in the car says they can't hear anything i guess i have sensitive hears, sticky tires and there's no doubt the rear would go boom.My advice if you go to the track and have/ can get traction save up for a 9 inch or 12 bolt.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mcflyz28
5000, I get a slight whine around 60-65 mph with street tires all I do is spin, you can only hear it cruising with the windows up and everyone else who rides in the car says they can't hear anything i guess i have sensitive hears, sticky tires and there's no doubt the rear would go boom.My advice if you go to the track and have/ can get traction save up for a 9 inch or 12 bolt.
Yeah I hear yah man. I'm thinking more and more along those lines.. disappointing since the new rear is such a large investment.. oh well.. guess I won't grab one for the next few years.. However.. a set of MAC headers will help me out... oh goodie!

Thanks eh.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I went nuts on the motor in my car I had 4.10's. With a hooker catback, lid, FTRA, ASP pulley, I ran 12.77 at 111 MPH. The gears helped tons! I ran that time at 2 different tracks and did it on the factory GoodYear F1 tires. On top of that the real reason I would tell anyone to get them is the fun factor goes WAY UP.

By the way those gears from that S10 should work.

Chris
Old 12-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Nice... That's where I want to be, I've just got to decide what I want to do in the way of mods to the car. I know next year I want 12's bar none.. but I feel I might even squeak a 12 with nothing done to the car save some sticky tires.. Another problem in my equation is that I want to switch to drag radials on the back of the car next year (since I need 4 new tires anyhow). This presents the problem for me, if I do Nitto's with gears, even with a TA Girdle, I'm looking for some broken teeth, If I leave street tires on, I'm still going to have a hell of a time hooking up, but like you say, that car might be a LOT more fun.. I dunno.. Something I'm going to have to debate.. This is why I'm thinking I might throw on the set of headers and exhaust/cutout. Add 15 to 20 rwhp with my current config and a set of stickies, I should be solid 12.80's anyhow.. Hrmph.. hard to say.

Any more opinions?

Search this Thread