Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration Issues

Hey guys, I have an 02 SS that is all stock besides a cat back. I just bought the car and changed all the fluids, including the diff. fluid. I heard a slight whine while crusing around 50 mph and it sounded like it was coming from the rear. So I changed the fluid and put 75w-90 mobil synthetic as well as the limited slip additive to see what would happen. The noise is still there and now a few days later i have a vibration only on decelleration for a second or two then it goes away. It doesnt matter what speed but when i let off the gas i feel it. bad u-joint? bad rear? some input would be greatly appreciated! Thanx in advance.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdowens91z
Hey guys, I have an 02 SS that is all stock besides a cat back. I just bought the car and changed all the fluids, including the diff. fluid. I heard a slight whine while crusing around 50 mph and it sounded like it was coming from the rear. So I changed the fluid and put 75w-90 mobil synthetic as well as the limited slip additive to see what would happen. The noise is still there and now a few days later i have a vibration only on decelleration for a second or two then it goes away. It doesnt matter what speed but when i let off the gas i feel it. bad u-joint? bad rear? some input would be greatly appreciated! Thanx in advance.
Just went through this with my 10 bolt for the third time...

I always hoped it was the U-joint... it never was...

What it was... three times... was the Ring and Pinion...

yank around on the Drive Shaft and see if it's loose... if it is... of course change the U-jnts... after that...

Pull the housing cover and take a look... rebuild kit and gears will set ya back around $300... Might consider a girdle for the diff... They're not terribly expensive but they help, or so I'm told.

I just changed to a Strange S60... and I've got a girdle on the old set up... and won't be getting back to pulling it apart for a week or so... but it's only a 4 or 5 months old. Can't remember what I paid for it, but I bought it from Sumit new... if ya decide to go that way let me know and I'll let ya have it for 1/2 of whatever it was.

FYI... it's better to catch it before it blows... so keep your foot out of it... and don't put it off any longer than ya have to.

Best of luck...
Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious if your dana 60 has any decel whine. Mine seems to have some but is good on accel. Also if I tap the brake though I can get the decel whine to cut in and out. So have to wonder if it is in fact decel whine or something else.

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues