Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Reenforcement

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Reenforcement

Ok, I am looking at beefing up my rear end on my 97 SS. I plan on upgrading to a moser eventually HOWEVER, I dont have that kind of money just yet and I have a few other priorities. With that said, I still want to reenforce it a slight bit. Here is an idea I heard of, but wanna know if anyone has ever done it, if it ACTUALLY helped or not, and if they have specs to built the brace!

I am planning on getting 5 feet of 1" OD x .250" 4130 Chrome-Moly tubing and custom build a reenforcement bar that will run from axle to axle on my rear end. Its primary function is to reduce the flex of the axle during heavy acceleration to reduce the chance of shreddign my gears.

Please note that this is only a cheap TEMPORARY mod and is only meant to keep me from causing damage while I save up for the moser, so PLEASE dont tell me to just scrap the idea and go with a moser or dana or whatever. If you have a LEGITIMATE reason why this wont work, is a bad idea, or whatever, then cool...but otherwise, no thanks.

I am also gonna add in a strong girdle and I am switching the gears to 4.10's.

Has anyone built this brace, or know how??
Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck with that. Flex isn't what causes these rears to break. They are just weak.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

flex is part of it. I am not saying it is the ONLY reason they break, but when the axle bows during heavy acceleration, it moves the gears inside the carrier towards the edges which makes them more vulnerable to breaking. I know they are weak which is why I plan on the moser, but this shold in theory help slightly for now till I can afford the moser
Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ring gear usually breaks or the bolts. Best investment you can make is take what money you thought about spending and put it in a high interest account for when that time comes. No matter what you do it will come!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
flex is part of it. I am not saying it is the ONLY reason they break, but when the axle bows during heavy acceleration, it moves the gears inside the carrier towards the edges which makes them more vulnerable to breaking. I know they are weak which is why I plan on the moser, but this shold in theory help slightly for now till I can afford the moser
no, he is right. these rearends will not withstand enough force to deflect enough to break things. you will shear off ring gear bolts or something like that before you get axle deflection. there is a reason you dont see people putting back braces on 10 bolts, but you see them on 9 inches.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, so the brace is definately pointless then?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
Ok, so the brace is definately pointless then?
not saying its pointless, just more work than its worth with a stock 10 bolt. your not going to be protecting anything with the brace because you wont be able to push enough power thru it to need it. and if you do, something else will break first. now, there are some cases where you could need it. i know there are people running singles on their stock 10 bolt and i imagine they are putting some power thru it. so dont take this as gospel, but it tends to hold true.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you search in here there are some threads about trying to add a brace to the 10 bolt.

Have you seen this brace kit, not sure if it's good or not:
http://www.lpwracing.com/p_axletubebrace.asp
Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Ya first reading it i thought it wouldnt be a bad idea but i guess its not really helpin? Good try though
Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

it sounded good when I first heard about it too, but now that I get more details, its starting to look less and less like its worth it...no biggie, Just pray I dont snap this thing before I can buy my moser! lol