Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vented bolt?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vented bolt?

So I'm thinking I need to replace the breather/vent on my S60 and have no idea where to get a new or better one. Has anyone modified one of these or had to replace one?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Bump. No one has ever replaced an axle vent?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the pipe thread fitting with holes in it that Strange provides? I replaced mine immediately with a pipe thread to barb adapter, and run 3/8" hose to a small plastic breather that I mounted to the frame...I don't have any pics, but the parts aren't hard to find.

The pipe thread to barb fitting I got from Lowe's (plumbing section), the plastic breather fitting from a dealership parts counter (this link has a good pic: http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/par...ailed/354.html), and the rubber line from an auto parts store. It is attached to the car with a sheet metal screw and an adel clamp (also got from Lowe's).
Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

I have found a solution to my Strange Dana 60 Vent problem.

I started shopping around for the things MeentSS02 posted about, but when I got to Autozone and started looking through the fuel filters, I found one with a threaded end. I pulled the Strange axle vent out and checked the width, they appeared to be the same. For $4, it didn't really matter. I get home and tried it out and sure enough it fit!! Pics below

Here is the fuel filter next to the vented bolt Strange put on the axle

Here is the part number if anyone else wants to do this and not worry about popping seals in their new $2K axle.

Here's what it looks like on the axle.

I'm thinking about cutting the nipple for the fuel line off since I don't need it and it will look a little better (just need new batteries for my Porter Cable saw).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vented bolt?