Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Grinding noise coming from rear (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Grinding noise coming from rear (I think)

I posted this in the General Maintenance and repair section, but didn't get more than one post. I'm wondering if any of you rear end guys can tell me if my bearings are shot:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/12952522-post1.html
Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

This noise is getting unbearable. I'm going to swap out the bearings this weekend.

Does anyone have an idea, or think it may be something else?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pull the rear cover off, and remove the axles. Inspect the bearing riding surface on the axles it will be very shinny. See if there is any pitting on the axles. It will look like a gravel road. I would put my money there. If the axles are pitted, replace the axles, bearing and seals.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had a terrible rubbing sound that was getting worse. 65,000 miles on it. Took it to dealer since it was under warranty. Pinion bearing was coming apart they told me. Replaced all bearings and seals under warranty thankfully cuz the bill was 800 bucks. No more rubbing noise but still has chatter from posi unit. so??
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Yeah my pinion bearing took a dump on me at 40k. I would bet its a bearing.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn i have the exact same problem and i just passed the 40k mark. can you hear it with the windows down??? i was hoping mine was the something with the rotor but when i roll my window down i cant hear it anymore so know i think its something else.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Damn i have the exact same problem and i just passed the 40k mark. can you hear it with the windows down??? i was hoping mine was the something with the rotor but when i roll my window down i cant hear it anymore so know i think its something else.
I can hear it, but very lightly with the windows or top down.

With the top and windows up it is very loud.

I also lowered my window when driving through an alley to see if I could hear the noise bouncing back off of the walls, but I don't hear anything.

I know the poly/Tubular LCAs are amplifying (or not suppressing) the noise like the old stock/rubber LCAs did, but there is still a noise there that shouldnt be happening.

D
Old 03-12-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RsSean
I would pull the rear cover off, and remove the axles. Inspect the vearing riding surface on the axles it will be very shinny. See if there is any pitting on the axles. It will look like a gravel road. I would put my money there. If the axles are pitted, replace the axles, bearing and seals.
You might have nailed it.

Here's the passenger side:
Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Had the exact same problem. The inner lip somehow got messed up and was allowing the bearing to get cocked, causing a horrible sound and chewed up axle that looked similar to yours. When you pull the bearing check the lip it shoulders against. If its good you can buy the one piece bearing and seal which moves the bearing to a different spot on the axle. Problem with these is sometimes you cant push axle in far enough to get the c-clip in.

I have a spare axle with the reluctor ring if you go that route. PM me if interested.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
Had the exact same problem. The inner lip somehow got messed up and was allowing the bearing to get cocked, causing a horrible sound and chewed up axle that looked similar to yours. When you pull the bearing check the lip it shoulders against. If its good you can buy the one piece bearing and seal which moves the bearing to a different spot on the axle. Problem with these is sometimes you cant push axle in far enough to get the c-clip in.

I have a spare axle with the reluctor ring if you go that route. PM me if interested.
So can I reuse the axle shaft if I go the one piece route?
I'll keep you in mind if I can't find one locally, but I'm trying to get it going today if possible.

Does anyone know if I can use a 3ch axle shaft? A junk yard down the road has one and I do have a press (if the reluctor wheel can swap over)
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
So can I reuse the axle shaft if I go the one piece route?
I'll keep you in mind if I can't find one locally, but I'm trying to get it going today if possible.

Does anyone know if I can use a 3ch axle shaft? A junk yard down the road has one and I do have a press (if the reluctor wheel can swap over)
Tha axle is bad for sure. Do not use the "Axle Saver Bearing". It's like putting a bandaid on and going swimming. It just wont work. Best thing to do is replace the axle, bearing and seal. 3 Channel axle is different than the 4 channel, no location for the reluctor ring on a 3 channel axle.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

I was going to use the axle saver bearing on mine because the housing would not hold a regular style bearing no matter what i tried. I ended just finding a rusted up v6 camaro housing and used my carrier and everything else inside that housing. I looked through junkyards and couldn't find an axle with the reluctor ring anywhere, all the ones I found were for non tcs cars. Ended finding one on ebay pretty cheap. Doesn't help you get car fixed today, but at least you know what it is
Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

I pulled the carrier out to check it's bearings and holy crap, look at what I found. I don't even know how this thing was able to drive

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...l#post13025634