Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to talk to a mechanic about whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to talk to a mechanic about whine

Have a 2000 camaro with a torsion rear in it. Had a garage put Motive 3.73's in it. Driven it short distances (5 to 6 mile tripes here and there) until today. I drove about 20 miles round trip varying my speed with stop lights and a 10 minute stop half way. I am trying to do all of the right things for break in....I have driven it a total of about 65 to 70 miles. Anyway coming home today I noticed a whisper of a whine on decel...Not near as bad as old gears 2.73's, but what has me concerned is a more pronounced whine with sharp turns, right and left, I have done a bunch of searches, and cannot find any infomation on whine with tight turns especially with a torsion rear, I am planning on calling the place tomorrow and need some advice on what to say if they tell me it is just normal, I would like to be able to say, I believe it is the "________" because it is making a whine when I turn.

Also I can live with the deceleration whine, but will it get worse?

Needed to add that I bought the master rebuild kit and gears from a supplier here so I know they are right...

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Zaxz28; 03-07-2010 at 07:06 PM.