Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear pattern opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gear pattern opinions please

I'm trying to set up my new Strange 3.73s for my 10bolt, and I think I'm close. How does it look to you guys? I circled the 3 teeth that I painted, and thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Gear pattern opinions please-drive.jpg   Gear pattern opinions please-coast.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scroll down to tooth contact patten

http://richmondgear.com/ringandpinion.pdf
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Launching!

So, I guess providing a link means it doesn't look good? It looks centered to me, but is the ramped edge towards the heel a problem? I haven't been able to get an oval shape at all yet.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Is it new gears? If so, just get a pinion depth tool and dial indicator and set it up by what is stamped on the gears instead of messing with it that much. Every set I have ever done by measuring it first came out the way it was supposed to the first time.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Yeah, they're new. I used the Ratech pinion depth checker, and it gave me a shim that was too thin. The pattern was all the way on the toe. I added what I thought would've been too big of a pinion shim, then messed around with the backlash and got the above pattern. I might try an even larger shim tonight to see what happens, but I was hoping someone could cut down on my experimentation
Old 03-24-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Just to me. Your drive side looks fine, the coast side looks a little shallow, but I really don't know how to change one without changing hte other. Your backlash looks like it needs a few more thousands. Probably whine a little on decel.