Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2000 ss carrier re-installation help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ss carrier re-installation help

I had the factory carrier out to have the carrier bearings replaced. Anyone got any tips to get it back in easily? I already broke one of the spacers trying to get it back in. thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you place the carrier in first and try to tap the spacer in with a hammer? That would break it. You will have to find a micrometer and measure the thickness of that spacer and either find another the exact same thickness or find a few thin ones that when stacked together equate the the exact same thickness. Place the spacers in first. I use a dab of grease to get them to stick than smack the carrier back in with a dead blow. If you know soneone with a case spreader (rare) you can use that but I have never needed one.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^what he said ^^^ and make shore the right spacer goes to the right side, do not mix them up unless there exactly the same thickness. You can get shim packs at most performance stores.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:03 PM

yeah, i did try to hit the spacers with a hammer....and it broke
I ordered a new one from chevy who said both side spacers are exactly the same. I might try the grease idea next
Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mnee1982
yeah, i did try to hit the spacers with a hammer....and it broke
I ordered a new one from chevy who said both side spacers are exactly the same. I might try the grease idea next
They may be, if I were installing I would mike the broken one to be sure of size and if so ok, if not same be sure and put the correct one in correct side.
Johnny