Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Am I measuring my pinion angle correctly? (Pics)

Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I measuring my pinion angle correctly? (Pics)

Alright so I've had some decent vibration at about 65mph and up since I got my S60 and new driveshaft. I want to make sure I have the pinion angle correct before I take the driveshaft in to make sure it's balanced (it was supposedly balanced when installed). I'm having helluva problems trying to read this digital angle finder for some reason.

I measured my transmission angle from the harmonic balancer (looking from the passenger side)

I measured my pinion angle from where the U-bolts hook up (again looking from the passenger side)

If my transmission is at a -5.4* and my pinion from the same side is a -3.4* do these give me a total difference of -2*?

Would it be better for me to zero the angle finder on the harmonic balancer and then adjust the pinion angle to -2 from that or am I at the correct setting already?? Any help would be much appreciated guys. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes that is correct. the reason is because the pinion is pointing down. and the tranny as well. so the angles are going in the opposite direction. so you are correct at substracting:
3.4-5.4= -2*
did you get new wheels? are they balanced? I would also check the DS if you still have the vibration like you said.

good luck man.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the pinion angle was supposed to be a positive angle and the trans waas supposed to be a negative angle? In other words the trans points down and the pinion points up?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the pinion angle was supposed to be a positive angle and the trans waas supposed to be a negative angle? In other words the trans points down and the pinion points up?
It depends on your point of relativity, which is what's throwing me off so much
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the tranny is pointing towards the floor. the snout of the differential is pointing towards the floor therefore when you accelerate, it will move upwards towards the ski, that is why you set it at about -2. the angles form a V if they were to join
does that make sense.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here you go, if your tranny is pointing down your pinion should be pointing up at the exact same angle.
The drive shaft angle should be 2 degrees or less and less than .5 degree difference from front to back.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

So with a -1.7* angle, I got rid of about 65% of the vibration. It's still fairly loud though. Is this just how tunnel mounted torque arms work? I'm going to get my driveshaft high-speed balanced next week and will report back if that helped.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tunnel TA are loud compared to the traditional mount bc of the point of attachement to the chassis. Im glad you were able to get some improvement.
report with your findings since a lot of people have this problem with vibration.
laters
Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

I got the driveshaft balanced at a Fleet Pride in town, took the car back out and it was sooo much better. I'd say it's like 99% better. I can get it above 80 without it feeling like it's going to rattle apart. Still pretty loud, looking into fabbing a piece of rubber to put between the torque arm mounts and the body.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I measuring my pinion angle correctly? (Pics)