Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Another 8.8 rear end buid...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Another 8.8 rear end buid...

I know there is much info about the 8.8 rear end buid but i can not find the info that i looking for. Ok i know one of the best and less expensive ways to make the project is finding the explorer rear end with 31 spline posi and 3.73 or 4.11 gears from factory and is a saving in advance.
Now my question is how can identify the Explorers with those options with out having to open every diferential that i find to verify it . Is any specific year,model,engine size that have those options??
Thanks in advance guys !!!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tag on the rear will denote the contents such as; 3 L 73 is a 3.73 w/Locker... 3 L 55 is a 3.55 w/Locker..... I pulled this one for a friend its from a 99 Explorer.....Best years are 94-pres. but i think thats only due to the avail. of disc brakes and ABS sensor which is a plus for us. We rather swap F-body tubes onto the 8.8 and use our much better brakes However not on this swap we kept the ford crap

Being the true street racer that my buddy(Tony) is, he redrilled the axles and new rotors in his garage and learned how to sharpen the bits all in a few hours

all painted up and installed in his 6.0 S10
Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Man thanks so much greate info. Yes i know i have to reuse the fbody tubes and i have everything that i need to do the job. I plan to delete the T/A doing the miniladder bars and delete ABS . But i think the way save the most $$$ is find the most parts that i need when i pick the explorer unit. One more question is any way to identify from the outside how many splines are the axels? once again thanks for the info.