Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ways the rear breaks ....

Old 01-05-2004, 11:18 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ways the rear breaks ....

Okay guys ... I figure that my rear is definately on it's last legs, and as soon as I put my nittos on in the spring time and launch it's done for.
What I would like to know, is what happens when it breaks? I have never broken a rear before, and I have this horrid vision in my mind involving lots of spinning and crashing and fire ... hehe. I would like to know what to expect when it breaks, possibly even what to expect from different ways it can break, etc.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke my rear twice. Once at the track launching at just 3500 rpm.I dumped the clutch and it barely moved ( broke axle), the other time it just pop when I went into a curve and just got worse till it would pop when I would pull out ( carrier busted)
Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It usually breaks on the starting line or a little bit out, especially if you have massive wheel hop.. Break an axle and the car doesnt move under is ow power anymore, it really cant slide out unless it breaks right at the flange - then the wheel will just fall off - thats the strongest part of the axle though so I doubt that will happen. The caliper/rotor will hold it in but it would still cause a major problem if you are moving. I have personally seen a 3-2 mis-shift and explode a posi (LT1 car, whatever they used) at 90mph, the rear locked up, broke the tailshaft off the trans, driveshaft twisted and after spinning about 10 times the car finally stopped. Not a good situation.

I have seen the ring gear bolt shear off and get thrown through the cover, torsens break in half, a tooth or two missing on the ring and pinion, broken off axles, spider gears on auburns turn to dust, take your pick

Some people have a lot of luck with the 10 bolt but some dont, I had good luck with a auto car but horrible luck with my M6 cars..
Old 01-06-2004, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Old 01-06-2004, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

I've seen two break, one broke off a ring gear tooth and the other broke an axle shaft.

Search this Thread