Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

maybe s60 problems...need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe s60 problems...need help

Long story but will try to make it as short as possible... So, ordered my new s60 from strange early Febuary 2010 and came in 3 or 4 weeks later. Had it powder coated and installed. Durring break-in period, I kept hearing noises, not too bad but just light noises, that sounded like it was comming from the rear of the car. Didnt think nothing of it, since I was told that since I did also install new LCA, panhard, and torque arm with rod ends that my car would drive alittle more rough than before. I decided to keep with the break-in, which is 500 miles and new oil change, and would test it out once the break-in period was met. Well, break-in period was met and exceeded by 100+ miles just to make sure. Did everything I had to do.

So, now its time for the test. I took it to Ennis did the usual cooling off and then time to make my first pass. I get to the burn out box do my usual burn out and feel alot of vibration. Im thinking this is not good but lets make the pass and then judge. I stage and try to stall but doesnt let me stall my usual of about 2800( I have a 3200 PI VIG). Geen light hits and Im off feeling nothing but vibration through first gear, hit second and it smoothes out till it starts to get to higher rpms, hit third and even more vibrations all through third gear. Finally, finishline, get my ticket and see that I ran a 12.7x at 103 a full second slower and 11 mph slower also.

Now I know there is something seriously wrong with the rearend or something back there, since that was the only upgrades that were made and couldve slowed me down right. Btw this was Friday night. Called the shop on Sat and they told me to take it in on Monday. Monday comes take it to the shop and they take the rearend apart just to find nothing wrong with it. They called me and said it looks perfect, no signs of any wearing on any of the parts in the rearend. They put everything back together and check it out again. Oh forgot to mention the custome driveshaft form strange also which was ordered with the rearend. They tell me it sounds like the driveshaft is out of balance.

I get my car back, take it to a friend of mine put it up on a lift and put the car in drive while the wheels are in the air. Horrible sound and vibration come in at 40 mph. My friend says he has never heard anything like this before and cant tell where the sound is comming from. We think we have pin pointed the noise which is comming from somewhere between the ds, yoke, and trans. He takes the ds off and checks the splines on the yoke and nothing looks perfect. He takes the ds to see if its out of balance and nothing again, ds is perfect also. He takes the tranny apart and nothing everything looks perfect. Damn this is fukn fustratating . He looks at the flywheel and thats perfect no cracks or anything on it. He looks at the torque convertor and tells me just to be on the safe side send it back to PI since it is less that 2 yrs old and has warrantee.

I send the tc back and have them chech it out and upgraded it from a single disk to a muti disk as well. Torque converter comes back this past monday (4/12/10). He installs it and guess what, still has the same problem. Now that we have gone through the tranny, torque converter, balanced the ds, checked the pinion angle on the torque arm, I dont think there is nothing left but the rearend, actually the differential which is a tru-trak.

If anyone can help or have any suggestion or nows anything about this from personal experience please post up.. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long story.. Also not sure if I put this thread in the wrong place if so can someone move it. thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being 11mph and a full second down I think you are looking in the wrong place. There isn't much to go wrong in a rear end. You have pinion and carrier bearings, axle bearings, and a differential. The S60 is very stout and chance you hurt anything are slim to none.

The time and MPH says the car is way, way down on power. I'd start looking at the motor.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Being 11mph and a full second down I think you are looking in the wrong place. There isn't much to go wrong in a rear end. You have pinion and carrier bearings, axle bearings, and a differential. The S60 is very stout and chance you hurt anything are slim to none.

The time and MPH says the car is way, way down on power. I'd start looking at the motor.
I dont think so, but will check just to make sure. Atm there's no knocking, oil looks good, and no check engine light is on. *shrugs*