Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noise when turning

Ok, I recently bought a 1995 Firebird Formula with a 6 speed in non running condition. We did some work and now the car runs great, but theres a problem.

The rear end makes a pretty loud noise when turning right, but it will usually completely go away when turning left. Sometimes the noise is there when you are just cruising in a straight line,but most of the time its not. The noise also changes with speed.

The owner claims to have recently rebuilt the rear end, even when I email him now after I have bought it from him.

Here is an email I got from him after asking him exactly what he replaced:

"It has new wheel bearings, pinion bearing and race, carrier bearings and races, pinion seal, new shims, axle seals and I believe that is it. The carrier is stock but was in good shape when I had it apart. I would just try to change the fluid. I doubt that is the problem as it is Royal Purple with GM additive and has less than 2k miles on it."

Also not listed is that he put motive 4.10 gears in the car.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this noise?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Teching In

No one has any ideas? I expect a little whine from the gears, but I don't feel like its good that it changes depending on which way youre turning.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would change the fluid and see if it helps. Make sure to use the additive. My 9" was doing the exact same thing after a shop worked on it, they said the put the additive in but when I changed the fluid and put the correct additive in it went back to acting normal.

Quick Reply: Rear end noise when turning