Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Having trouble with my 12-bolts c-clip eliminators. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble with my 12-bolts c-clip eliminators. Help!

Hows it going guys, this is my first post on this forum but i have read alot of good info here already. I have a 1992 Camaro RS that i am eventually goin to pull my 383 out of and install and lq9 built for boost.
As of right now, im just getting things in order to hold that kind of horsepower.

Im haveing trouble getting my rear together though. The rear is a 12-bolt out of a 1971 Chevelle. I rebuilt it with 3.73s and a spool. I built a mini 4-link setup to locate the rear under the car, so please dont tell me it cant be done lol, it is already in the car.

My issue is, i cannot seem to get my factory drum brakes to sit at a 90* angle to my axle. I know all of you are fermiliar with the factory 10-bolt backing plate flange on the axle tube itself, but the one on the chevelle axle is the standard square flange. Basicly the same shape as the c-clip elim housing. I have redrilled the backing plate to accept the eliminator but when i bolt the axle in the backing plate sits like this " /-------" instead of like this "I------" thus causing the drum to not want to go on. I understand that this isnt a common question but basicly im asking for ideas as to where to go next. Im not buying an aftermarket set of brakes, that is not my style, I WILL MAKE this work, im just stumped at the moment. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you cut enough of the housing off for the eliminator kit? Is your backing plate hole as big as the housing? Can you take a few pic's and post them?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately i dont have a digital camara. But i never even thought about not cutting enough off the housing, ill have to check but im 99% sure that i did. The hole in the backing plate hole is defanately large enough.

With the c-clip eliminator installed, has anyone had any problems with the backing plate flexing?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 AM
TECH Resident

I never have any flexing problem. there is one lip that the backing plate centers on and the long one where the stock bearing presses in. You should have no longer than 1/8 inch of the longer one left when you cut it off. Make sense?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Teching In

It makes perfict sence now, i prolly have a little over 1/4 inch left over. Ill have to pull it apart and look at it on saturday. I really appreciate your help man, ill keep you posted and ill try and borrow the girlfriends camara to get you some pictures.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Cool. G/L