Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Good differential for street/strip

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good differential for street/strip

Im having a tough time deciding what I want to do for a differential in my moser 9". I currently have a detroit locker and I cant deal with all the noise it makes. I've considered a spool but not sure if I want to go that way, this car is not my daily driver and is a street/strip car with occasional autocross. Are they any other good heavy duty differentials that are quite that will hold 550rwhp safely?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Wavetracs are supposedly pretty awesome...

http://www.moserengineering.com/diff...35-spline.html
Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say for what you want the Wavetrac would be the best, you might get by with a TracLok too. When I got my 9" Eric recommended the TracLok for me, I told him I will be at about 550RWHP with the juice.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

I thnk you should buy this. https://ls1tech.com/forums/midwest-c...true-trac.html
Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

i would recomend a true-trac. dont have to worry about lsd additive, it utilizes worm gears and isnt very noisey. It sends power to the most resistant wheel instead of most that do it to the least resistant wheel. they say they handle power up to about 600hp
Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Spool + autocross = bad news unless you LIKE replacing tires more often than you already will.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replys. I talked to the guy I got the locker from and he's going to take the locker apart and put lighter springs in and add silencer rings. So ill see how this goes when I get it back in.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by importkiller_SS
i would recomend a true-trac. dont have to worry about lsd additive, it utilizes worm gears and isnt very noisey. It sends power to the most resistant wheel instead of most that do it to the least resistant wheel. they say they handle power up to about 600hp
I agree with import_killer SS about the true-trac differential. It is fairly quiet and can handle about 600 hp.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well i've finally had enough of this locker, this is the biggest POS i've ever used. Now im not sure what diff. to go with, i've heard the true trac can make alot of noises as well. I'd like to go with a moser trac loc but now im well over the 550 rwhp mark when I started this post. Im just not sure if it would hold at the track.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SFEDSS
Well i've finally had enough of this locker, this is the biggest POS i've ever used. Now im not sure what diff. to go with, i've heard the true trac can make alot of noises as well. I'd like to go with a moser trac loc but now im well over the 550 rwhp mark when I started this post. Im just not sure if it would hold at the track.
Since you have a locker you probably have 35 spline axles, which is what the Wavetrac uses. I'd put a Wavetrac in there for the horsepower you have and what you're using the car for. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-5W9...ser-5W9F35.htm Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Since you have a locker you probably have 35 spline axles, which is what the Wavetrac uses. I'd put a Wavetrac in there for the horsepower you have and what you're using the car for. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-5W9...ser-5W9F35.htm Bob
Unfortunately I only have 31 spline axles, another problem I have is that I have a strange 3.250 case. I was told by the person I bought this from that my only options for differentials were a spool, locker or the wave trac. I just found this out, Is that true?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yukon billet trac loc with race springs. It's what I have in my daily driven street car with a MWC Fab 9" and strange 31 spline axles. Very smooth like stock and hooks hard at the track. It's a very strong unit that is rebuildable.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SFEDSS
Unfortunately I only have 31 spline axles, another problem I have is that I have a strange 3.250 case. I was told by the person I bought this from that my only options for differentials were a spool, locker or the wave trac. I just found this out, Is that true?
That sounds right for the larger case. Since you have 31 spline axles I'd put a spool in there. It's the cheapest route as you can keep your existing axles, as the lightest too. About five years ago we swapped out the locker from a retired customer's Camaro, and installed a spool in it's place. The customer hated the locker but was real happy with the spool for his weekend driver.

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Yukon billet trac loc with race springs. It's what I have in my daily driven street car with a MWC Fab 9" and strange 31 spline axles. Very smooth like stock and hooks hard at the track. It's a very strong unit that is rebuildable.
If the Yukon will work with the 3.250 case it may be a good way to go. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by importkiller_SS
Are you HIGH!?

The Turd Trac is the WORST diff out there for these cars. THEY ALL BREAK!

One good wheel hop and its done. I have dusted 2 and will be going to a spool as soon as funds permit.

600HP is nothing compared to the FORCE that is applied due to a 6k clutch dump on slicks.

I am not sold on Wavetrac either but lets see some real cars making real power putting down 1.2's and 1.3's 60 foots and see where they stand.

Quick Reply: Good differential for street/strip