Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need yalls opinion on Rear Ends!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need yalls opinion on Rear Ends!!!!!!

Alright guys,

ive got a 02 T/A LQ9 6.0 cam tuned at 408hp-401tq to the wheels ON A VERY MILD TUNE. the car is gonna get tuned up here soon as well as recieving new ported and polished heads, intake, throttlebody, and spray( probably 150 shot). i dont know the first thing about rear ends or any of the freakin acronyms yall use so talk to me like im ****** stupid. ive been told Dana 60 would be the best for my car not only cuz it wont break but will help out with the center of gravity for my car since ive got an iron block up front. ive also been told thats over kill and ****** stupid to get.........i see ppl say ford 9' moser 9' ummm strange 12 bolt and idk what the hell yall are talkin about lol. Help Me Please!!!!!! I need price ranges for all extra parts as well as anything else that is gonna help my car run perfect. i wanna be able to do a 5k dump on the track with a 150shot and not have to worry about anything screwing up.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Well, you really need to learn the language so I'll try and help.

Ford 9" = a Ford rear end that has a 9" diameter ring gear. Hasn't been used in factory production in many years, but is readily available on the aftermarket. You'll also see reference to Ford's 8.8". Same deal, ring gear diamter. Not as stout as the 9", but not bad either. The 9" is the holy grail for brick shithouse tough. All the references to Moser 9, Strange 9 etc. are aftermarket copies of Ford's design. The term Fab 9 will come up also. This is a fabricated housing that uses a 9" center section, which is called a carrier.

Dana 60 = Chrysler rear end, but not made by them. Again, not from the factory in many years. Available on the aftermarket, you'll see the S-60 mentioned quite often. Good stout piece, but not quite as stout as the 9".

12 Bolt = GM's heavy duty, not available from the factory for many years. 12 bolt refers to how many bolts hold the back cover on. Available from the aftermarket. Not as strong as the 1st two, but plenty for a street only car. If you're running an automatic, good on the track too. High horsepower and a stick or transbrake, and you'll it destroy eventually.

Your stock rear end = GM 10 bolt. Again, the number of bolts holding the cover on. Looser piece, even when new. Still in production, still a looser piece.

When you go to the 150 shot, you'll want the 9".

Last edited by fleetmgr; 04-29-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Well, you really need to learn the language so I'll try and help.

Ford 9" = a Ford rear end that has a 9" diameter ring gear. Hasn't been used in factory production in many years, but is readily available on the aftermarket. You'll also see reference to Ford's 8.8". Same deal, ring gear diamter. Not as stout as the 9", but not bad either. The 9" is the holy grail for brick shithouse tough. All the references to Moser 9, Strange 9 etc. are aftermarket copies of Ford's design. The term Fab 9 will come up also. This is a fabricated housing that uses a 9" center section, which is called a carrier.

Dana 60 = Chrysler rear end, but not made by them. Again, not from the factory in many years. Available on the aftermarket, you'll see the S-60 mentioned quite often. Good stout piece, but not quite as stout as the 9".

12 Bolt = GM's heavy duty, not available from the factory for many years. 12 bolt refers to how many bolts hold the back cover on. Available from the aftermarket. Not as strong as the 1st two, but plenty for a street only car. If you're running an automatic, good on the track too. High horsepower and a stick or transbrake, and you'll it destroy eventually.

Your stock rear end = GM 10 bolt. Again, the number of bolts holding the cover on. Looser piece, even when new. Still in production, still a looser piece.

When you go to the 150 shot, you'll want the 9".
The 10/12 bolt name actually refers to the number or bolts on the Ring gear, not the cover.

I could be wrong, but I thought the Dana S60 had a bigger ring gear than the Ford 9". I believe it is 9.75" (9 3/4"). I also believe it is more stout and has less loss that a 9" due to the alignment.

A benefit of the 9" is that the pumpkin is fairly quick to swap out and can be set up on a bench. I've heard of some people carrying a different "pumpkin" for the track and for the street.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
The 10/12 bolt name actually refers to the number or bolts on the Ring gear, not the cover.
Nope, it's the cover

I could be wrong, but I thought the Dana S60 had a bigger ring gear than the Ford 9". I believe it is 9.75" (9 3/4"). I also believe it is more stout and has less loss that a 9" due to the alignment.
The reason the 9" is stronger is because the pinion is supported by 3 bearings, not 2. It has one at the very front end, and this prevents the head of the pinion from deflecting away from the ring gear. Neither Dana nor GM has this last piece. You're right about the gear size, but due to that 3rd bearing, the 9" is still a bit stronger. Look at what the Pro Stock guys use...it ain't Dana. You're also right about the 9" not being as efficient by a few percent. If you're looking for the last .0001 second, it may matter.

A benefit of the 9" is that the pumpkin is fairly quick to swap out and can be set up on a bench. I've heard of some people carrying a different "pumpkin" for the track and for the street.
Very true.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Ha alright makes since. i just talked to a guy named eric that explained a **** load of stuff to me and im getting to understand it now. he said hed fab me a 9' with all brackets for brake lines as well as a chromoly tq arm and a driveshaft and ship it for 3150 with a pouder coat. any opinions??? idk how prices range as far as being shipped.

lol thanks for lesson as well
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

With the torque arm and DS it doesn't sound too bad. You might check with some of the site sponsors here before you drop any money though. See the current thread about Midwest Chassis and Performance.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a similar thread on another site:
http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20642

Here's a link the PHR magazine:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...all/index.html
and snips from the 1st 2 paragraphs:

With all due respect to the competent GM 12-bolt and legendary Ford 9-inch, Chrysler's Dana 60 is the mother of all rearends. This absurdly robust driveline specimen was originally designed for heavy-duty military vehicles during World War II, and was adapted for street combat in the '60s by Chrysler to endure the fury unleashed by its Hemi- and 440-powered muscle cars. We're currently busy putting the finishing touches on a built 455 big-block for our '65 Olds Cutlass project car, but its projected 500 hp is respectable rather than incredible. As such, our original plans called for replacing the factory 10-bolt rearend with a 12-bolt, but when Strange informed us that it offers a big-inch Dana 60 for GM A-bodies, we were more than intrigued.
Without question, nothing embodies overkill more than installing a Dana 60 in a 500hp street machine. Nonetheless, its benefits over both a 12-bolt and 9-inch made the decision a no-brainer. What makes the Dana 60 so good are its massive 9.75-inch ring gear, 35-spline axles, heavy-duty cast centersection, and 3.125-inch diameter axle tubes. In comparison, factory GM 12-bolts incorporate 8.875-inch ring gears, 30-spline axles, and 3-inch axle tubes. Stock Ford 9-inch rearends, on the other hand, make do with 9-inch ring gears, 28- or 31-spline axles, and 3-inch axle tubes. Granted, bigger aftermarket axles can be easily swapped into the 12-bolt and 9-inch, but bigger ring gears cannot.

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Nope, it's the cover
No, it is the ring gear. But it's a common misconception.

There were actually some 12 bolts with 10 cover bolts on some 60's GM cars.

The truth is, any one of these rears will work for you. Talk to a sponsor and see what is best for you and your budget.