Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft sources

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft sources

I don't see a sticky about good sources of driveshafts and my brief search has turned up nothing. My current driveshaft (stock steel 2.73 original) vibrates above 60MPH. I know this is a known issue that my driveshaft is not balanced for my current gear ratio and the fix is typically a LS1 shaft. I believe an aluminum shaft will eventually fail with my setup and I'm looking for a good place to pick up a new driveshaft without dropping $500. DS failure is dangerous and vibration will prematurely wear my tranny so I would like to fix this relatively soon. This was not an issue till I started dating a pretty woman that lives a few hours away

Would any vendors or helpful forum members care to chime in? Should I be looking at spending more than $400 for a 500-600 RWHP automatic setup? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

We can build you a drive shaft if you need one. Honestly at that power level, i would suggest new ujoints and a balance. Shoul not really need to drop $500.00 for a new driveshaft. But, if you wanted a new one it would not cost you that much from us. Let me know your setup and I can get you a price.

Jeff
Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Where are you located?
Located in northern Indiana.

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
We can build you a drive shaft if you need one. Honestly at that power level, i would suggest new ujoints and a balance. Shoul not really need to drop $500.00 for a new driveshaft. But, if you wanted a new one it would not cost you that much from us. Let me know your setup and I can get you a price.

Jeff
I put new ujoints in when the gears went in, old ones weren't too bad. I was also under the impression that having the driveshaft balanced would not solve the problem since they were not designed to ever spin that fast. Especially stepping from 2.73 to 3.73. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd hate to pay for a rebalance and have the same problem. What would you need to know about my setup other than what is in my sig? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

we sell mostly the PST steel and aluminum shafts both are rated at or over the 1000hp range and are high speed balanced. the steel shafts are in the 300.00 range, the aluminum about 400.00. we also offer the Strange 3" chromemoly shafts which have been very popular as well. pm or call us for a quote.