Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

the rear death shake continues!!!!WTF

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default the rear death shake continues!!!!WTF

ok so ihave a moser 9" that was in my previous car that a friend had TOTALED and ruined just about everything you can possibly think and ive got my new one together using the same drivetrain. i am having a serious death shake when going 65mph+ and its coming from the rear of the car. got a front end alignment to rule that out, new tires balanced, replaced a cracked axle bearing (from the accident) and this shake continues!!!

no with the suspension loaded and wheels up in the air i can get the speed up to 65 + and the shake is definately there and coming from the rear of the car, litterally shakes EVERYTHING. now then i take the rear wheels off and lug down the rotors of course then bring the car up to speed again the shake is still there but less violent? there are a combination of 3 things ive narrowed it down to which are:

1 driveshaft out of balance?? but wouldnt the shake be just as bad wether or not the wheels are on or off AND would it be more of a vibration??

2 bent moser 35 spline axle???

3 bent moser 9" housing???

now when i replaced the driver side axle bearing (the side this fucktard slammed into a wall) the axle did look straight to the naked eye but im sure the slightest bit off could cause a shake at speed..also my rear housing looks straight to the naked eye but who really knows???
Old 05-27-2010, 05:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by C Murda
now then i take the rear wheels off and lug down the rotors of course then bring the car up to speed again the shake is still there but less violent?
It sounds to me that you have a bent axle. A bent axle's vibration will become greatly pronounced when the wheel and tire are bolted on. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
It sounds to me that you have a bent axle. A bent axle's vibration will become greatly pronounced when the wheel and tire are bolted on. Bob
can you next day air me a 35 spline moser axle driver side??? haha still available to make an order?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

just to be clear i removed the driveshaft and put the car thru all gears with it in the air and no vibrations so from the tailshaft foward there is nothing wrong...
Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would you replace both just in case??
Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Pinion angle?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pinion angle is set... Should only be one bent axle the driver side as that's the side the assfuck slammed into a wall...
Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

I'm with Bob, I had a bent axle once and the vibration was terrible. When I removed the tire, the vibration was still there but not as violent. The smallest tweak and they have to be replaced. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now is it possible to reuse the bearing and retainer? I just got these new ones pressed on hoping my broken bearing was the issue...clearly not..
Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Now is it possible to reuse the bearing and retainer? I just got these new ones pressed on hoping my broken bearing was the issue...clearly not..
I think your new bearings will be fine.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Question

You're going to have a hard time not ruining the bearing when you take it back off. Did you find an axle yesterday after you called me for this weekend? Bob

Old 05-30-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're going to have a hard time not ruining the bearing when you take it back off. Did you find an axle yesterday after you called me for this weekend? Bob
called a million places and youre right NO ONE stocks these axles haha so i ended up calling moser and just ordering one through them along with a new bearing... takes 2 days for it to be made then next day air shipping and with the holiday weekend it screwed me till thursday when it should be arriving im on vacation all this week and really wanted to go to some cruises but i gotta avoid all highway speeds can only stick to local roads...

side note: im REALLY REALLY hoping this solves my problem...seems like since this kid crashed my car ive had endless problems with the new one having to replace damn near everything but the drivetrain and i had a TON of money invested into the old one...kinda like building 2 of these cars cause ive spent pretty much the same amount this time
Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope it works out for ya Murda. Your ride is badass man. BTW dont know if you recognize me from Northeastf-bodyassn. Ive got the viper blue flamed SS.

Pretty soon I will be installing my Moser 9inch with a locker. Cant wait to be able launch this thing finally.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if your car was in some kind of accident it MOST likely will be a bent axle. But what is your pinion angle set at? I know you dont think this is the problem because you set it. But when most people set their pinion angle they set it to -2 or lower. That is fine at the strip as your pinion angle changes to about 0 under a hard launch, but just normal driving with the pinion angle will cause some vibrations as its not suppose to be set like that for normal driving. This is what somebody explained to me so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Mine is vibrating as well around the same speed then goes away around 80-85. But I have a brand new MWC fab9 and replaced all the stock suspension on the back half so if thats not it Im not sure what else it could be. Please post and update if it fixes your problem though.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by second_2_none
Well if your car was in some kind of accident it MOST likely will be a bent axle. But what is your pinion angle set at? I know you dont think this is the problem because you set it. But when most people set their pinion angle they set it to -2 or lower. That is fine at the strip as your pinion angle changes to about 0 under a hard launch, but just normal driving with the pinion angle will cause some vibrations as its not suppose to be set like that for normal driving. This is what somebody explained to me so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Mine is vibrating as well around the same speed then goes away around 80-85. But I have a brand new MWC fab9 and replaced all the stock suspension on the back half so if thats not it Im not sure what else it could be. Please post and update if it fixes your problem though.
see this pinion angle is set to-2 BUT same setting on same suspension in my previous 4th gen (the crashed one) and never had any vibration problems at all ive actually gotten compliment at how solid and smooth the car rode at all speed even 160mph+ car literally feels glued to the road at speed... anyways im REALLY hoping this is the end of my problem. i want to be ale to enjoy this new car seeng as how im back in debt cause of all the replaced parts i had to get to get it up to par with my old crashed one. all this money would have been a twin turbo system but guess thatll be next year now
Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

called a million places and youre right NO ONE stocks these axles haha so i ended up calling moser and just ordering one through them along with a new bearing... takes 2 days for it to be made then next day air shipping and with the holiday weekend it screwed me till thursday when it should be arriving im on vacation all this week and really wanted to go to some cruises but i gotta avoid all highway speeds can only stick to local roads...

side note: im REALLY REALLY hoping this solves my problem...seems like since this kid crashed my car ive had endless problems with the new one having to replace damn near everything but the drivetrain and i had a TON of money invested into the old one...kinda like building 2 of these cars cause ive spent pretty much the same amount this time

You'll have to let us know if it takes care of the problem. I'm counting on it being solved. Bob

Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll have to let us know if it takes care of the problem. I'm counting on it being solved. Bob
im REALLY HOPING so! the only other thing it could be is a slightly bent housing which i dont think it is BUT with my luck who knows....although i cant see how a bent axle tube would cause a death shake? would think it would just cause my rear tire to wear unevenly...we'll see.. ill def post tomorrow gthe results when i get the axle and after i put it in..
Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

long story short....it NOT my axle...i went and pulled the axle again and had noticed on the NEW bearing with about 200 miles a scorched spot on the outer side...then looked inside the axle tube where the bearing sits and also notice a scorched spot...this means that the bearing MUST be moving around/rubbing causeing it to heat up... so that being noticed i went to a drivetrain shop and had them check the current axle and it measured within 5/1000ths which they told me is within tollerance and nothing close to cause any noticeable vibration or shake actually said most factory axles are farther out of straightness and still no noticeable vibrations... so that being said my new axle arrived today and im now left with a spare driver side axle as there is no point in paying to get the backing plate removed from the old one and new bearing/backing plate pressed on the new one.... got my rotors checked for the hell of it and they too are within 5/1000ths which is really good for factory rotors... i left them my PST driveshaft to see if thats out of balance at all which i dont think its possible to cause this much of a shake unless it were litterally bent an inch or so

all that being said...i think the end of the axle tube got "ovalled" from the accident and is now out of round which is causing the bearing when installed to wobble within the housing causing that scorched spot causing my death shake.... i took some measuring calipers to the end of the tube and the difference is a C hair but thats prob enough to allow the bearing to move around with the weight of the car at highway speeds, so i took out a massive c clamp in hope to reshape it and went at it in all which ways took a hammer to it as well, now when i rest the bearing on the outter edge it seems to be equally tight all around with no play at all so im am praying to god that THAT solved my problem....if not im gonna get the car appraised and park it in a shady neighborhood and maybe itll go missing...then corvette time...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

well im extemely happy and angry at the same time...found my problem...after all this **** my so called newly "balanced" wheels were wayyyyy out of balance...i had begun to loose hope and ive done everything possible to eliminate possibilities when i said said f*ck it im gonna get my wheels checked somewhere else and got them back rebalanced and no more problems....kinda makes me wanna go to the place where i got the tires mounted and "balanced" and have them pay for all the **** ive gone through due to a improper balance....
Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well im extemely happy and angry at the same time...found my problem...after all this **** my so called newly "balanced" wheels were wayyyyy out of balance...i had begun to loose hope and ive done everything possible to eliminate possibilities when i said said f*ck it im gonna get my wheels checked somewhere else and got them back rebalanced and no more problems....kinda makes me wanna go to the place where i got the tires mounted and "balanced" and have them pay for all the **** ive gone through due to a improper balance....
Wow, I wouldn't of expected that after everything you have been through! Bob