Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 Bolt Spool? Explain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 10 Bolt Spool? Explain?

I know everyone says to get a 12 bolt or a 9 inch. But I dont have 2,500 plus to spend. Also im not planning to run 9's or 10's anytime soon. I also know everyone says there is no such thing as a 10 bolt spool and I accept that. My 2 questions are these.

1. Why does no one make a spool? I have seen the mini spools and people still say they break because of the stock diff housing. Seems to me that its more of a wast of money to make the mini spools then a real spool... and your still lacking the strength of a real spool.

2. How difficult would it be to find a place to CNC a spool out of billet steel or something like that to fit a 10 bolt?

Guess what im sayin is for people like me who want good solid traction out of the 10 bolt for a minimal cost.... only makin in the 350 to 450 hp range in an A4 that sees the track maybe once a month(maybe)

Out of all the parts they make for the weak 10 bolt... diff's... axles... gears... mini spools... they seemed to miss the one part that to me would add the most strength and have the cheapest manufacture cost.

Maybe im missing something but I just dont understand the logic here....

Last edited by Cobras_Rule; 05-28-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone?
Old 05-29-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

The spool won't solve the fact that the housing will still flex and destroy the gears. Also anyone that buys a Spool does it because they are building a track only car and won't even bother buying gears, axles and exotic ways of strengthening the housing of a 10 bolt because by the time you get done with all that you could have gotten a 9" in the first place.

I know this as fact because I have a 10 bolt in my car that I bought from a guy (for $600) that did just that. He had Axles, Gears, extra bracing welded to the housing and the tubes fully welded to stop housing flex, a diff cover, c clip eliminators.. the whole works.. it cost him almost 3 grand! After all that he ended up going with a different and hither hp combo and didn't want to chance it failing and went with a 9" and lost a fortune in the process.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cobras_Rule
1. Why does no one make a spool? I have seen the mini spools and people still say they break because of the stock diff housing. Seems to me that its more of a wast of money to make the mini spools then a real spool... and your still lacking the strength of a real spool.

Out of all the parts they make for the weak 10 bolt... diff's... axles... gears... mini spools... they seemed to miss the one part that to me would add the most strength and have the cheapest manufacture cost.

Maybe im missing something but I just dont understand the logic here....
A spool needs a way to hold the axels in, such as bearing plates - that 10 bolts don't have. Spool's can't use the stock c-clip retainers. So, to use a full spool you would have to use bearing plates which are not cheap and often not advised for the street.

Go mini-spool, why do you need the strength for a 10 bolt - which is going to break anyway at some level.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28evans
A spool needs a way to hold the axels in, such as bearing plates - that 10 bolts don't have. Spool's can't use the stock c-clip retainers. So, to use a full spool you would have to use bearing plates which are not cheap and often not advised for the street.
ok thats the information i was looking for. i did not know that. thank you

Quick Reply: 10 Bolt Spool? Explain?