Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Setting Pinion Angle with a Moser RE

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Pinion Angle with a Moser RE

Does the angle on a Moser Read a little different then the stock RE's? I set my pinion at -2 Vibration is still there. When looking at the RE it almost looks like it should be reading positive. So I started Adjusting my Pinion angle to get the RE to slant down towards the front of the car and the RE its self is at a -5 It hardly looks like its slanting down. If I go any farther its going to be in the extreme - Anyone here with a Moser had the same problem? Funny thing is, when I put in my LCA Relocation Brackets with a Non Adjustable TA the vibration was almost gone. Installed the Adjustable TA and its back.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Does the angle on a Moser Read a little different then the stock RE's? I set my pinion at -2 Vibration is still there. When looking at the RE it almost looks like it should be reading positive. So I started Adjusting my Pinion angle to get the RE to slant down towards the front of the car and the RE its self is at a -5 It hardly looks like its slanting down. If I go any farther its going to be in the extreme - Anyone here with a Moser had the same problem? Funny thing is, when I put in my LCA Relocation Brackets with a Non Adjustable TA the vibration was almost gone. Installed the Adjustable TA and its back.
BMR's procedure works well, the Moser rear is no different than any others when it comes to adjusting the torque arm. Bob

Set the pinion angle using the following method:

Load the rear axle by either setting the car on the ground or letting the car rest on jack stands positioned under the rear axle.

Place the angle finder on the driveshaft and record the angle. The driveshaft angle is negative if it slopes downward towards the rear of the car. The driveshaft angle is positive if it slopes upward towards the rear of the car.

Now place the angle finder on the rear end torque arm mounting plate and record the angle. The rear end angle is negative if it slopes downward towards the front of the car. The rear end angle is positive if it slopes upward towards the front of the car.

Add the two measurements. This is your pinion angle. (Example: -2 rear end angle plus -1 driveshaft angle = -3 degrees)

Turn adjuster to achieve the desired angle.

As a starting point, most F-Bodies seem to like the following initial settings: Automatics: 1-2 degrees negative Manuals: 2-3 degrees negative

Please refer to www.bmrfabrication.com to view the video for setting the pinion angle.
Once pinion angle has been set, tighten all jam nuts and rear bracket cross bolts.

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
BMR's procedure works well, the Moser rear is no different than any others when it comes to adjusting the torque arm. Bob

Set the pinion angle using the following method:

Load the rear axle by either setting the car on the ground or letting the car rest on jack stands positioned under the rear axle.

Place the angle finder on the driveshaft and record the angle. The driveshaft angle is negative if it slopes downward towards the rear of the car. The driveshaft angle is positive if it slopes upward towards the rear of the car.

Now place the angle finder on the rear end torque arm mounting plate and record the angle. The rear end angle is negative if it slopes downward towards the front of the car. The rear end angle is positive if it slopes upward towards the front of the car.

Add the two measurements. This is your pinion angle. (Example: -2 rear end angle plus -1 driveshaft angle = -3 degrees)

Turn adjuster to achieve the desired angle.

As a starting point, most F-Bodies seem to like the following initial settings: Automatics: 1-2 degrees negative Manuals: 2-3 degrees negative

Please refer to www.bmrfabrication.com to view the video for setting the pinion angle.
Once pinion angle has been set, tighten all jam nuts and rear bracket cross bolts.

Exact Steps I used. No Bent Axel's, New U Joints, DS is Balanced, RE is Centered. But when I set the RE to -1 it looks like it is slanted up. Wen I adjust it more to +1 it is REALLY slanted up. Ill triple check it again tomorrow on a drive on lift
Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

not to hijack but what if the driveshaft is + and the rear is -?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MattysTA
not to hijack but what if the driveshaft is + and the rear is -?
Add the two measurements and that's what your pinion angle is. So +2 on the driveshaft and -1 on the rear would equal a positive 1 pinion angle. 2 + -1 = 1
Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks bob that is a little easier to understand.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bmr says to subtract the angles in instuctions but to add the numbers in the video.
In the video the guy says negative 5 plus negative 2 equals negative seven then goes to set the angle but they don't show what the finished angle was which would have been much clearer.
Spohn and think umi say to subtract the angles but this gets messy with negative numbers
negative 5 subtract negative 3 comes out to negative 2 not negative 7 like bmr says in video. I have bad vibration currently and just want to set my angles to zero.
So do I need to go plus 3 on rear and negative 3 on driveshaft or do I need to go negative 3 on rear and driveshaft to get to zero.I hate math! LOL

Quick Reply: Setting Pinion Angle with a Moser RE