Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

anyone has experience with G9 Diamond Trac-III or DPI's Black Gold Diffs for 8.8"/9"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone has experience with G9 Diamond Trac-III or DPI's Black Gold Diffs for 8.8"/9"?

Hi,

I'm looking for a beefed-up rear-end that can handle well in turns (don't care about straight line performance as much as cornering)... so 12-bolts are out of the picture since no good enough diff for my needs. I'll be outputting around 450 rwhp NA... and I might need to look into this maybe sooner than expected... so I'm doing the search now before it's too late.
Yet, the 8.8" and 9" seem to offer better solutions.
Anyone has experience with one of the following diffs?
  • G9 Diamond Trac-III
  • DPI's Black Gold Differential ?
If you have any other suggestions, let me know, as long as the bias is at least 3.5:1 to 4:1 if not more.

I presently have a Torsen T2R in my 10-bolt.
I know they make them for 8.8", but don't seem to make them for the 9".
I'm still woundering which route would be better... 8.8" or 9" for my needs. and trying to look at all feasible possibilities.

These designs seem to be very similar to the T2R which I enjoy a lot when RoadRacing and/or AutoX-ing... cause I can floor the car coming out of the curve, without having the inside wheel spin... so was just woundering for your feedback.

I also heard of a place in TX that make 8.8" for the f-bodies... I think they are called ExtremeChassis.

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like your pretty much on your own on this one flying solo. I am very interested to see what you can come up with that works well. I have several sessions that I was planning to attend at Road America and Gateway and a few other tracks. So if your setup works I deffinatly plan to copy it. LoL. Sorry man. Seems like not alot of people are into Road racing.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:47 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you aren't concerned with straight line/drag strip performance, you're wasting your money on an aftermarket rear end. The stock 10 bolt will be just fine for road racing. More times than not, stock 10 bolts are broken while running on slicks launching hard. Since that is not your concern, why waste the money on a drag racing rear end?

josh
Old 01-19-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's just that I drag once in awhile and with around 450 NA RWHP ain't too bad until I decide to spray the 250+ DP nitrous.
So, I'm budgetting for a rear just in case.
Thanks for the replies... so far I hit a dead-end here and at www.ls1.com
Made a similar thread... but looks like SOM WS6 is right
Maybe it's just... j/k
Old 01-19-2004, 11:53 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
It's just that I drag once in awhile and with around 450 NA RWHP ain't too bad until I decide to spray the 250+ DP nitrous.
So, I'm budgetting for a rear just in case.
Thanks for the replies... so far I hit a dead-end here and at www.ls1.com
Made a similar thread... but looks like SOM WS6 is right
Maybe it's just... j/k
Well all I can say is you definately do not want to run the 9 inch. They are heavy, and will GREATLY decrease cornering ability. I would look into the 8.8 since it's only about 15 lbs heavier than a 10 bolt..

josh
Old 01-20-2004, 06:32 AM
roy
TECH Resident

there is nothing with the Ford 9 for road racing in a Fbody . It works great and so does the detroit locker for that matter.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

My 10 bolt might make it through the end of the year if I don't beat the **** out of it at anymore track sessions. But once that x3 goes in around July I don't expect it to live very long.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Damian
Well all I can say is you definately do not want to run the 9 inch. They are heavy, and will GREATLY decrease cornering ability. I would look into the 8.8 since it's only about 15 lbs heavier than a 10 bolt..

josh
Not necessarily true.
The 9" can be made very good for turning, provided you have an excellent diff... it's just that most people buying those will get locked diffs.. and those are $h!t for cornering.
LG once posted that one could get a 9" for pretty much the same weight as a 10-bolt... I think I'll be giving them a call sometime this spring.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:16 PM
roy
TECH Resident

eugenio do you mean lockers or spools for cornering.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roy
eugenio do you mean lockers or spools for cornering.
doh!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt
Any update yet?

Quick Reply: anyone has experience with G9 Diamond Trac-III or DPI's Black Gold Diffs for 8.8"/9"?