Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

how do i replace a 10 bolt pinion bearing race?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i replace a 10 bolt pinion bearing race?

there is a big gouge in the race for my pinion bearing, has anyone ever replaced this themselves? if so, whats involved? what kind of tools will i need? etc....
Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transam8410
there is a big gouge in the race for my pinion bearing, has anyone ever replaced this themselves? if so, whats involved? what kind of tools will i need? etc....
You need to get yourself a good punch and ball peen (sp?) hammer. A brass punch is usually preferred. With the pinion out of the housing you will have two races....one for each bearing. Look down the housing bore on the opposite end of the race you want to drive out. Technically you will be looking for the back side, or flat side of the race. There will be a notch cut into the housing bore to fit a punch onto the backside of the race. Now, with your hammer and brass punch, start driving the race out of it's pocket from behind and when you are done, it will go flying through the shop bouncing and bobbling. Ignore this as you will throw it away anyway LoL .. Move to the other side of the housing and eyeball the machined surface you just punched on and run your finger through there looking for high spots from the punch. If you have some, knock them down with sand paper or an air wheel with a small sanding pad on it. You want to true that surface back up. Find you a race driver set

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4177_200354177

from northern tool and fit the new race to one of the assorted drivers. Attach the handle, square the new race and drive that baby all the way in. You will know it when you hit bottom because the drive will feel soft and then that hammer will bounce back at ya with a hard thump. Your in like larry flynt....Clean any aluminum left over from the race driver and you should be reary to rock. Hope this helps and makes sense.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

^^^^

Make sure when you start beating the **** out of these bastards to install them they are straight, or you'll get nowhere. You may have to knock them out and start over a couple of times, or just even them out with a punch to one side. Once they are started straight they will go right in.

Quick Reply: how do i replace a 10 bolt pinion bearing race?