Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange whine?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange whine?!

I have an m9 with 3:73, 1k on it and it whines from 40+mph. When no gas is applied it stop and when I give it good amount of throttle it stops, I know I probably need gear adjusted.

Here's the kicker, the noise randomly goes away and slowly gets louder, it's random I let off gas then apply and it's quit then other times I apply it and it is whining again....I'm so confused, my brother said might be ujoint, I have stock driveshaft with conversion ujoint.

Can anyone chime in?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy ****. I knew I was not the only one. Bro check out this vid from our Army dude friend, Haans249. As soon as I let off, the noise goes away. Apply gas, it is back. The vid says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX63NQsG1mg
Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, but does yours go away randomly? I'll let go of gas than press it and it's quite like no whine nothing then I'll let off and press gas again and it returns...so weird, I'm going to have to get gears adjusted, I find it bs it came from moser like this! Another $500 to get something fixed that shouldn't need to be fixed!

I got tranny problems as well I might fix that first before I can't drive at all, the whine I can deal with it's bad but not horrible.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by th3unwant3d1
Yea, but does yours go away randomly? I'll let go of gas than press it and it's quite like no whine nothing then I'll let off and press gas again and it returns...so weird, I'm going to have to get gears adjusted, I find it bs it came from moser like this! Another $500 to get something fixed that shouldn't need to be fixed!

I got tranny problems as well I might fix that first before I can't drive at all, the whine I can deal with it's bad but not horrible.
You will need new gears my friend. The pattern has been set.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Lovely, right out of the box I need new gears!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

We need a sticky started on this. Becuase spending 3k+ for a New M9 and to have issues is a no go.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I'm going to call them tomorrow and see WTF is going on....
Old 07-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Launching!

i have a moser 12 bolt with 3.73 and mine has always done that not as loud as yours but when i checked everything and put new fluid in it and service the rear end nothing looks bad or warn... the gears etc look in good shape to nothing worn or warpped
Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gear whine doesn't always mean the gears weren't installed correctly. You can have what appears to be two identical sets of gears installed the same, and one set will have gear whine and the other set won't. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just sucks Bob, we don't have a lot of money to go through gear sets and find out if they will be noisy or not.

Last edited by Camaro Junky; 07-07-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
Holy ****. I knew I was not the only one. Bro check out this vid from our Army dude friend, Haans249. As soon as I let off, the noise goes away. Apply gas, it is back. The vid says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX63NQsG1mg
That is a loud set of gears! HAHAHA

Any aftermarket set of gears can make noise in this type of vehicle. What brand of gears were used on the build? We like to use the Motive Performance or the US Gear. We have found there is less of a chance of gear noise and if there is gear noise that it is minimal.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Motive gears were sent in mine. Not sure which ones. Either way, in the vid this is exactly what is happening in my M9.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

Motive gears were sent in mine. Not sure which ones. Either way, in the vid this is exactly what is happening in my M9.
Hmmm, maybe they were Standard Blue Box Motive Gears. Those things were loud though. I would have sent them back for warranty no matter what brand they were.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

What gear oil are you running and where you filling it up to? I had the same problem on a new rear. switched to the 85 140 lucus oil and has toned down some. Its not near as bad, and I can cut it out with the radio on low now and I have 4.11 gears. Give it a shot man.. mine was just as loud as yours if not louder. still having problems with the wavetrac a bit but.. not sure what that is. It likes to pull to the right under power but if I get on it at a stop both tires spin.. so it might just be how wavetrac works..
Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

my richmonds are as loud as the ones in the vid,i am going to drive on em for a couple years and beat on em and then change them out to some motives or something.I have a midwest rear,with solid torque arm and aluminum center.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by justinj
What gear oil are you running and where you filling it up to? I had the same problem on a new rear. switched to the 85 140 lucus oil and has toned down some. Its not near as bad, and I can cut it out with the radio on low now and I have 4.11 gears. Give it a shot man.. mine was just as loud as yours if not louder. still having problems with the wavetrac a bit but.. not sure what that is. It likes to pull to the right under power but if I get on it at a stop both tires spin.. so it might just be how wavetrac works..
Think I had Valvoline, I put non synthetic as directions requested. I went to the 140 oil, but not Lucas oil.

My rear did the same thing pulling to the right. I changed the shocks and it went away. How old are your shocks in the back?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend gear noise he change to redline gear oil and noise go away. He switch from regular valvoline to redline.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by redtail2426
my richmonds are as loud as the ones in the vid,i am going to drive on em for a couple years and beat on em and then change them out to some motives or something.I have a midwest rear,with solid torque arm and aluminum center.
Richmond do tend to be louder than Motive and US Gear. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-08-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Richmond do tend to be louder than Motive and US Gear. Bob
so those brand is loud, and consider normal ? I heard gm gear is very quiet, y no one here ever talk about gm gear ?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by killagt
so those brand is loud, and consider normal ? I heard gm gear is very quiet, y no one here ever talk about gm gear ?
Richmond Gear is typically a noisy brand. They are a strong gear set and use more nickle in the material which is usually the cause of the increase noise. They do not make GM 12 Bolt Gears brand new except in an aftermarket brand.

Jeff