Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

broken driveshaft and rear end...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broken driveshaft and rear end...

I twisted the driveshaft, in the process of removing the broken pieces I noticed I wasn't able to spin the pinion so my guess is the pinion broke, locked up and that's why I twisted the driveshaft.

With the rear of the car in the air I can freely spin both rear tires in opposite directions, guessing this means the limited slip is broken also along with the ring and pinnion?

Not sure what I am going to do yet, money is tight. Obviously ditching the 10bolt is the right way to go but not sure that is an option for me right now.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You won't know until you take it apart. Good luck with it. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28_theantirice
I twisted the driveshaft, in the process of removing the broken pieces I noticed I wasn't able to spin the pinion so my guess is the pinion broke, locked up and that's why I twisted the driveshaft.

With the rear of the car in the air I can freely spin both rear tires in opposite directions, guessing this means the limited slip is broken also along with the ring and pinnion?

Not sure what I am going to do yet, money is tight. Obviously ditching the 10bolt is the right way to go but not sure that is an option for me right now.
Best thing to do is pull the rear cover and find out what the damage is and go from there. Understand the money thing, depending on the extent of the damage we may be able to help you out with parts relatively inexpensive enough to get you back on the road.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

at least stock parts arent too expensive. ive broke DSs and rears.