Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my rear end shot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my rear end shot?

I copy pasted this from another thread i posted in the manual trans section. I originally thought the clunking noise i had was in my transmission, but now i'm pretty sure its in my rear end.

Video one: Trans is in neutral, wheels are off the ground. This freeplay happens without the wheels ever moving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmOdneNDL6U

Video two: Same as above, i rotate it, and then shock stop it with force in the opposite direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAHnq0P_8U4

I think i found my clunk, but what is causing this? I think the rear is shot.

My question about the trans is, i have a bit of axial movement where the splines from the drive shaft enter the trans. Is it normal to have a bit of slop here? I went out and tried to move the driveshaft in my truck, and it's rock solid.

I think i have some major problems here.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you turning the driveshaft with your hand?

How many Miles?

Its very very hard to tell if the rear is shot by doing what you are doing. You really need to open the diff up and inspect the inside, perferably measure backlash.

The trans will more than likely have alittle movement if you have over 75k.....consider it normal.

The aluminum driveshaft makes the clunking alot louder when doing what your doing in the video so again I would take the rear cover off and inspect.

Just my .02
Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am turning the driveshaft at the yolk by hand.

Car has 70,500 miles.

I inspected the rear (visually) about 2,000 miles ago and changed the fluid and installed a girdle. The gears looked great. There was some metal on the magnet, but i figured it was from initial breakin of the rear. No large chunks, just very fine shavings.

Car has made the clunking for about 6,000 miles, but has gotton worse since i installed my monster clutch. I suspect because it grabs so much harder all the time.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

You cant make a determination if the diff is bad from those videos or if the rearend is worn out. You need to pull the cover, inspect, check pattern, check backlash and such.

Jeff
Old 07-10-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least drop the DS and see if you have the same noise coming from just the rear.