Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear troubles. Symptoms?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear troubles. Symptoms?

My car doesn't have too many miles on it (30k), but the rear-end pops often. usually when there is some low speed, high steering angle situations. What is this pop?

Also, today I got on it a bit from a stop, and the car took off, then sort of roasted one tire until the revs zinged up almost unimpeded. (clutch isn't terrible, but this particular situation could have caused it to slip I suppose) Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the fluid by take off the fill plug, or change the fluid and add a bottle of friction mod, use gm or ford, i recomment ford friction modified. sound to me like your LSD is need a little lube ^^
Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

If the posi is slipping and only roasting 1 tire like you said, additive will not help the posi be more aggressive. It appears to me as if ther may be an issue with the positraction and you may have to open it up or ride it out till it gives way(this option can cause other problems if you so choose).

Jeff
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
If the posi is slipping and only roasting 1 tire like you said, additive will not help the posi be more aggressive. It appears to me as if ther may be an issue with the positraction and you may have to open it up or ride it out till it gives way(this option can cause other problems if you so choose).

Jeff
Thanks Jawsgear. Thats what I was thinking.

Search this Thread