Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What kind of carrier is this???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of carrier is this???

As the question states, I'm trying to find out what kind of carrier I have. I have never done a rear end tear down so this is new to me. Unfortunately, I do not have any pics to provide at the moment so I will do my best to explain it. I have a 2002 Z28 that was built for State Patrol, but yes it is a 10 bolt. I took the rear end apart last summer and the carrier wasn't like anything I had seen before. No springs at all, but not a spool. It had a bolt that was approx 1/4" x 3" in length that was holding in place some kind of metal retainer between the two c-clip axles. The carrier is very simple, it has two large gears, one on each side, with 4 (if I remember correctly) long cylindrical gears spanning the length of the carrier, form one large gear to another. I'm pretty sure it is posi because sometimes one tire will spin, but I honestly have NO CLUE what the make of the carrier is and I can't find matching pics of it on the internet to save my life. Any ideas???
Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RobRomero
As the question states, I'm trying to find out what kind of carrier I have. I have never done a rear end tear down so this is new to me. Unfortunately, I do not have any pics to provide at the moment so I will do my best to explain it. I have a 2002 Z28 that was built for State Patrol, but yes it is a 10 bolt. I took the rear end apart last summer and the carrier wasn't like anything I had seen before. No springs at all, but not a spool. It had a bolt that was approx 1/4" x 3" in length that was holding in place some kind of metal retainer between the two c-clip axles. The carrier is very simple, it has two large gears, one on each side, with 4 (if I remember correctly) long cylindrical gears spanning the length of the carrier, form one large gear to another. I'm pretty sure it is posi because sometimes one tire will spin, but I honestly have NO CLUE what the make of the carrier is and I can't find matching pics of it on the internet to save my life. Any ideas???
Torsen
Old 07-13-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Yup, sounds like the Zexel Torsen that was a factory option. The bolt you see retains the paddle that keeps the axles pushed out, to retain the C clips.

Looks like this?:
Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

That's the exact one. Is it worth a crap? Does it matter which way the padde is installed? I didn't realize there was a "channel" in the paddle until after I had taken it out. I wasn't sure if the "channel" went up or downward when I stuck it back in???

Thanks a million for helping me with identification.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, its a pretty decent differential.. No clutches to deal with. Only reason i swapped mine out of our old 02, was because i had a noise i could track down and rebuilt the whole thing. Turned out it was a couple bearings, and the diff was perfect.

As for the paddle, its been so long, i dont remember which way it goes in. Im sure someone will be better able to help on that.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Yeah, its a pretty decent differential.. No clutches to deal with. Only reason i swapped mine out of our old 02, was because i had a noise i could track down and rebuilt the whole thing. Turned out it was a couple bearings, and the diff was perfect.

As for the paddle, its been so long, i dont remember which way it goes in. Im sure someone will be better able to help on that.
I appreciate all the info.

Can somebody please help me out by telling me which direction the groove in the paddle should face, up or down?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Bump Bump
Old 07-15-2010, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

A lil help please.