Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Rear end whine

I have a 2000 ss with 73k miles on the ticker and the rear end howls like a bitch between 55-70mph. After that it pretty much goes away. previous owner said something about replacing that carrier bearings or something like that. Maybe he did it wrong? Maybe the gears are not set up right? I dont know much about rear ends but the howling is getting rediculous. Anyone know apprx how much it would be for a shop to look at it and maybe reset the gears or something? Thanks guys
Old 07-16-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like it's time for a rebuild. Different shops will have different rates (and varying quality), but you're looking at between $250 and $500. That price also depends on if you supply parts.

For a rebuild kit, the Ratech one is pretty nice. I went with the 3001k. I can't quote you on my rebuild price because I had a friend do it for free. But make sure you find a reputable shop that knows what they're doing.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you plan on spending more then 500$ then dont waste it on the 7.5, its a good time for an upgrade to a 9 inch or something that might be able to handle stock power output, which the 7.5 barely can