Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end moving on leaf springs...

Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end moving on leaf springs...

ok so i just took my s10 for its first drive tonight and the rear end setup in an 8.8 out of a 96 explorer, no narrowing or anything to the pumpkin is off center still... when i drive around the rear end shifts on the leave springs, making one side further back then the other so its i guess i would call it "crooked" or however you spell that.

I have 3 in drop blocks in it would that affect it? and also i didnt have any shocks installed yet as im getting them tomorrow so i was wondering if that would have to do with it also?

I know this site isnt exactly for this type of setup but im trying to get a quick answer and need all the help i can get...

I tightened the hell out of the u bolts so its not like they are just loose. I know since its a mini spooled rearend with 10.5 slicks on it there is a little more stress but i know im not the first person in the world to have this setup so i need to figure out how to fix it...

any help is appreciated!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking its just because i didnt have the shocks on yet, but just want to see if anyone thinks its anything else?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure on your set-up, but you should have something like a large bolt going up through the middle of the leaf springs that the plate on top is centered on. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Last edited by Bob@BruteSpeed; 07-17-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea there is a little bolt sticking up through but it doesnt seem to be doing anything?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
yea there is a little bolt sticking up through but it doesnt seem to be doing anything?
That bolt locates on a hole in the spring perch and plate. It also holds the leaf springs together and centers the rear.

You didn't stretch the springs out to get it to fit did you?
I've done a few 8.8 swaps and IIRC the S10 could have fit but I cut and welded the perches anyway. I used all the stock mounting hardware for the S10.

The pumpkin is off center but it doesn't effect anything.

I even did an insane swap in a blazer with 38x15.50 super swampers, it was an all spring lift with no blocks.

Neither one of these had problems.
Make sure that your locating pin locates the block on one side and the plate on the other. Also make sure the bolt isn't rusted in place and actually broken in the middle. Make sure the u-bolts are clamping tight. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the leaf spring bushings.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 12-22-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I think I figred it out, the aluminum drop blocks I have were corroded on the inside that the located pin goes in and it was sliding around because the corroded part was where the pin was supposed to go in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear end moving on leaf springs...