Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

did i ruin the posi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i ruin the posi?

installed a richmond 3.73 yesterday with jegs full syn. gear oil and lsd additive. drove the car about 20mi let the car cool down for an hour and a half. drove about 12mi let it sit for another hour, drove 5mi let it sit about 3 hours. drove it 5mi and then let it sit over night. i know i did it kind of backwards. I felt the diff when i got home after 20mi trip and it was hot but not like it burned my finger off. so today when i drive very slow in reverse or forward with the wheel turned i can hear the clutches grabbing. the car has 164k on it and i only felt it for brief turns that were slow or backing out of the drive way. seems to be fine at normal 20-30mph turns.

i do get some noise when slowing down about 5-10mph almost sounds like an airplane flying overhead very high up. nothing too dramatic but i do notice it. not sure if it needs break in or what. the tech i installed the gear set with said .007-.008" backlash was acceptable when it called for .010" on the ring. im kinda worried about the poor 10 bolt...
Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

It may be that syn fluid. Arent you supposed to run non-syn in the Auburns?
Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

you might be right. i bought the install kit off jegs.. thinking it would only make things easier. I guess it would be a good thing i had syn in there for the initial break in with all the heat, i will end up changing the flluid out tomorrow when i can get real gm ****
Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is an auburn, don't forget the limited slip additive that you mix with the non-syn gear oil.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Your airplane noise is coming from your bearings most likely, Your clucking noise on turns and backing up is due to type of oil and posi additive most likely. SOmething is wrong in your setup for sure.

Jeff
Old 07-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

well i changed the fluid and got rid of the chattering. but now its a hunt to eliminate the vibration. this vibration makes my car feel like its misfiring but its not... it happens every time i hit the gas.. the easier on the gas i am the less i fell it. i havent done any crazy full throttle at all. once half throttle but at that time it was not vibrating. it all starting happening after my battery died out of no where. i installed a new battery when i started the eng. it almost sounded like it was knocking. and now i get the sputter on acceleration, the car idles and runs like **** so im thinking maybe it needs to relearn and break in the new oil, deff. a tune but im not sure if thats my problem that is happening this saturday. if none of that fixes it then im sure the backlash is too tight. my question is are the gears messed up or will shimming it possibly help if i get the backlash right?