Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt noise

Hello
I have a 95 formula and the rear end is making some noise when I'm driving, it sounds like a light knocking sound, and I can hear it when it engages. Its also inconsistant when going down the road. I'm just wondering if its something with the rear itself or just the posi making noise?

Is it possible if someone changed the fluid and didn't add the additive (I've only had the car 2 1/2 months) would cause the noise? Could I fix this by changing the fluid and adding the friction modifier, or is the damage done?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Teching In

When you say its inconsistent do u mean it only makes noise when your under a load and it stops when coasting? Best bet in my opinion would be just pull the pan and check it out make sure the ring and pinion are still good. From my past experiences knocking in those 10 bolts have always turned out bad.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah its never good when its nocking. You just need one of these. HAHAHA[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Default pull the cover

The simplest way to figure out any rear problem is by pulling the cover and inspecting the parts. 9 times outta 10 you'll have the answer very quickly. Based on what your describing, it sounds like you might have a broken tooth on your ring gear.