Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3/4 Channel rear, yes i read the faq ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3/4 Channel rear, yes i read the faq ;)

so just to prove it:
16. Will a 3 channel rear end work in my 4 channel car?

Yes, you can make it work, if you put the axles from your four channel car into the 3 channel rear end and install the sensors into the backing plate. To put a 4 series into a 3 series would be more difficult, because it would require you to drill in the top of the rear housing for the sensor, and add a reluctor ring to the carrier as well.

anyway, does anyone have an exact write up or link to a write up on how to make a 3 channel work on a 4 channel car? my 10 bolt bit the dust and all i can find is a 3 channel rear to swap into. just curious how in depth this is, because im on limited time and funds. just wanna make sure it is with in my skill/tool range. thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

not much of a write-up required
both rearends:pull covers and remove paddle(torsen) and/or center pin(auburn)(you didn't state what year the donor rearend is),remove c-clips(remove 4 channel sensors if needed to facilitate c-clip(s) removal),pullout axles,unbolt and swap backing plates(instead of making holes in the 3 channel backing plates) and swap axles.
be opportune time to check axle bearings(in housing) and bearing surfaces on axles.
98s' would have auburn posi,99-02 would have torsen.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

car is a 01 ws6, the new 10 bolt is from a 99 z i think
Old 08-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

I wonder why you can switch from a 3 channel to a 4 without issues but not the other way around? Wouldn't you just lose your ABS and TCS funtions?

Sorry about the 4 channel to 3 channel though, I don't have any knowledge on that.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TooFast3800
I wonder why you can switch from a 3 channel to a 4 without issues but not the other way around? Wouldn't you just lose your ABS and TCS funtions?

Sorry about the 4 channel to 3 channel though, I don't have any knowledge on that.
You could use a 4-ch in a 3-ch car by disabling the ABS/TCS. The hole needed for the sensor on the pumpkin in a 3-ch is not machined out on a 4-ch and you won't have the sensor wheel either.