Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

f up wheel bearing install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default f up wheel bearing install?

so i needed to replace rr wheel bearing. using timken trp1563tav(atleast thats what autozone gave me, can someone verify this number?) it is an axle repair bearing. So removal was straight foward. While installing the new bearing it was tighter than old bearing was coming but nothing that alarmed me. Installed all back together with c-clip and put the block back bolted everything up filled with lsd gear oil. checked for any binding or noises while i had it in the air and nothing, everything seemed fine. bolted wheels on and took it for a ride, made it about 500ft and i heard a pop then horrible grinding from rr. now i had ac and radio off and heard nothing when i first started driving then with no warning it let go. took it home and jacked it up and for sure the bearing let go. tons of side to side play but none in and out. i hope i didnt **** anything up. has anyone else had this problem or help me find out what i did wrong. if i fucked up then this is how we learn but if i got a bad bearing i just hope nothing else got fucked up. i haven't torn it completely apart because its dark and auto parts stores are closed anyway. let me know what you guys think.

thanks

-matt
Old 08-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Launching!

should the repair bearing be driven in flush with end of axle tube?

matt
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Launching!

well **** me in the ***! i just found out about the issues with passenger side repair bearings. well most people stop if it didn't go in all they way but mine went in, i mean i beat it in there but it went in. i didn't damage the exterior like mushrooming or anything on the bearing so i thought it was normal. i work on heavy construction equipment for a living so i guess i have a heavier touch than most people. well that explains the failure. so beings my axle is just pitted i guess i need to find a new one and use oe style bearing and seal.

i hope the bearing comes out tomorrow morning.

-matt
Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I don't wanna give ya bad news cause I don't have a lot of experience, but those repair bearing were one of the biggest mistakes I've made. Mind did not sit flush, but you did have to "press" them in real well. The problem for me though and I pray you don't run into this as you diagnose your problem, was the c-clips fit so tight, that I couldn't remove them again after the install. My right rear repair bearing sprung a significant leak after about 500 miles, it never broke loose though. Chance are, if you can get the axles back out, the centersection will prob be ok, but I can't say for certain.

FWIW, my ultimate solution was to pick up a used 10-bolt for $300 until that finally went out lat week, now I have a Fab 9" on the way.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Launching!

i had no problem getting the clip in after i installed the new bearing my fear is going to be getting the bearing back out.

-matt
Old 08-30-2010, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen guys spend a LONG time trying to get repair bearings out.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Launching!

well i got it out, it took about an hour or so. i'm lucky i had a welder at my house. i had to weld little **** on the inside of the race to give the puller some good meat to grab. but it still wouldn't come out. so i tried a trick an old man showed and ran a bead of weld around the inside of the bearing causing it to shrink. One hit bam it came out. So i wanna give a thanks to jason at fbody central for hooking me up with a good used axle and oe style bearing and seal. popped it all in and now its nice and quiet, could prolly hear a mouse pissing on cotton!

-matt
Old 08-31-2010, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason has helped me out several times in the past. He's a cool guy.

Quick Reply: f up wheel bearing install?