Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC 9" set up? and PST Driveshaft. Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MWC 9" set up? and PST Driveshaft. Vibration

I have had a Midwest Chassis fab 9" in my car for a few months now, put 500 miles on it and 6 passes.

I have the torque arm mounted on the 2nd from the top hole on the Tunnel mount and then I have the LCA's on the 2nd from the bottem on the rear. Is that correct for a non-lowerd car?

I just put in a set of UMI 3-point subframe connectors in it which made me have to redo the pinon. I think I have that set now but I am still getting a vibration, at any speed. I feel a little clunk when I release the clutch, so I looked at my driveshaft. Its a PST driveshaft that I got through Midwest when I ordered the rear. It looks to be out of the tranny a good inch and the driveshaft can be shaken a bit and makes a sound. Could that be my problem?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Restricted User

Could be, explain your vibration better, what speed does it start, does it get worse, or dissapear and then come back and another speed? ?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it for the rear? Maybe the universal bolts at the rear loosened up. Mine did and I had a vibration but I tightened them again and it's like glass. Maybe it was a seating thing
Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you set your pinion angle and what is it at right now? The drive shaft is the standard length we sell with all of our housings, it should not be to short.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

It was at all speeds but I haven't been driving it for fear of breaking something.

I'll check those bolts as well. Didn't even think of that.

I havent fixed it yet but I found a problem that I didnt have before. The rear is about a inch too far back so I ordered some adjustable LCA's to bring it forward. Hopefully that will cure the driveshaft issue I had where it was wobbling in the tranny. I'll set the pinion at my shop on Friday on the drive on lift.

One question I have is should the rear tires be centered in the wheel well? or further forward or back?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One question I have is should the rear tires be centered in the wheel well? or further forward or back?
Try to get it as close to stock location as possible.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Alright. Got adjustable LCA's in tonight and test drove it around the block. Im going to bring it in to my shop tomorrow and allign it. It seems to only happen at low rpm's and at lower speeds. Sometimes steping on it. That would be pinion?

Slight noise. hard to tell cause its so loud. lol

The driveshaft vibration to the tranny is fixed btw.

Quick Reply: MWC 9" set up? and PST Driveshaft. Vibration