Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

swap from ABS to traction control?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default swap from ABS to traction control?

Tell me what you guys think about this. I have an 01 TA with a noise 3 channel axle. I just bought a wrecked 00 TA with traction control (4 channel axle of course). I'm going to be using the engine and trans in an older car and before I realized it was 4 channel I was going to put the axle in my 01. I originally wanted to build a 9 inch and get rid of my ABS. But I'm not into drag racing and if anything I'll be doing some road racing with the car. ABS/traction control would be nice for road racing. Does anyone know what would need to be swapped to add traction control to my ABS car? If there is a seperate controller for the traction control? No doubt this can be done if enough parts are swapped. It's a 00 though and mine's an 01 so the PCMs are going to be tuned different. If I would have to swap PCMs I could probably get it tuned to run right with the 01 engine.

So here are my options:
Rebuild the 3 channel, swap to the 4 channel and add traction control, get a 9 inch and keep 3 channel abs, eliminate ABS all together.

To anyone who road races would traction control be much of a benefit over ABS?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good driver doesn't need ABS or ASR. I say get rid of all that ****.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by squee
A good driver doesn't need ABS or ASR. I say get rid of all that ****.
lol, that's what I always thought. I'm on pro-touring.com all the time because I'm more into older cars built to handle. Coming up with a good ABS swap for older cars was brought up a while back and I was curious why the hell anyone would want to do that. Guys were wanting it for road racing. After that I thought I might as well keep it on my 01, but before I get rid of it I'm curious what people think.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t_raven
lol, that's what I always thought. I'm on pro-touring.com all the time because I'm more into older cars built to handle. Coming up with a good ABS swap for older cars was brought up a while back and I was curious why the hell anyone would want to do that. Guys were wanting it for road racing. After that I thought I might as well keep it on my 01, but before I get rid of it I'm curious what people think.
A good set of brakes and a proportioning valve to adjust the front/rear bias is all you should need.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Well I think I'm going to keep my 01 stock for now, so I'm going to put the axle from the TCS car in. From what I've read about the TCS the PCM retards the timing when the TCS kicks in. I don't know if I'll ever bother try to put TCS in my ABS car but since I have all the parts I'm curious what it would take. Does anyone know if my PCM will control the TCS if I swap over all the other parts? or would I need to change something in the PCM?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: swap from ABS to traction control?