Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which aftermarket rearend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which aftermarket rearend?

And don't say J-Lo's

02 SS M6 with the intention of running 500rwhp (75 shot). I want to keep the abs and all the bolt up stock items and ph/lca I already have, without issues on the tq control arm. 3.90 gears. Keep weight to a minimum as we are not going below 11.5 (right to it though) and we road race. Easiest bolt in, least amount of gear whine and loss of hp. thx! No lowering.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Launching!

i love my moser 12 bolt with 3:73 and eaton posi very simple install with lift and moving up to 4:56 gears soon. good luck
Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 AM
TECH Resident

I like my Moser 12 bolt too. But the m'fer does whine... The intall was easy, and I only had jack stands.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbs1
And don't say J-Lo's

02 SS M6 with the intention of running 500rwhp (75 shot). I want to keep the abs and all the bolt up stock items and ph/lca I already have, without issues on the tq control arm. 3.90 gears. Keep weight to a minimum as we are not going below 11.5 (right to it though) and we road race. Easiest bolt in, least amount of gear whine and loss of hp. thx! No lowering.
We can build you one of our housings that utilize everything you just mentioned and on top of that we have our own Watts link set up that is very popular with road race customers of ours.

Our rear end is like mounting the ten bolt back into the vehicle as it has all the same location mounting tabs for brake lines and e-brake cables. All included at no extra cost.

You will also be saving weight going with one of our torque arms because you will no longer have to use a bulky adapter set up. All stock or after market LCA & PHB mount right up.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mwc ftw
Old 09-19-2010, 07:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm
Check out the Moser M9 which is basically the same weight as the 10 bolt you currently have. Place your order on Monday and there is a good chance you'll have it Friday! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-19-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs1
And don't say J-Lo's

+1 for Midwest. Have (had) many of your concerns and needs. Considered a S60 but side by side in a list of pros and cons, MWC's 9" is tough to beat. Once I'm ready, they're getting my biz.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Restricted User

Least hp loss 12 blt, D-60, then the 9"
Old 09-19-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Supershafts
Don't want to jack the thread, but I'm curious on the % of power loss per rear end.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The chart below is from GM High-Tech magazine. Take a look at how much less horsepower the Moser M9 uses compared to a Strange S60! Bob

TABLE OF REAR-WHEEL HORSEPOWER/TORQUE CHANGES:
Car Rear Old HP/TQ Rear New HP/TQ % Loss
Jensen Camaro Stock 3.42 412.5/390.0 Strange S60 3.73 397.9/376.0 3.5/3.6
Werner Trans Am Stock 3.42 441.2/432.3 Moser M9 3.70 436.6/428.6 1.0/0.9

Link to Moser M9 article in GM High-Tech. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...nds/index.html

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Supershafts
I wouldn't be so concerned on which rear end robs more HP as I would be on who is actually setting up the center section. There is HP to be lost by not setting up the center section properly.

That should be something people consider when ordering a new rear end, do you want the people selling you the rear end the same people building and setting it up or someone that is hired in to do work and punches the clock and leaves every day when their shift is done no matter if they finished the job they started or not. Then having to deal with multiple people to get your high ticket item taken care of once a problem happens.

Spending this kind of money should be a memorable experience and should be the start of a working relationship between the customer and retailer.

One of the nice things about Midwest Chassis is we have the same guy welding up every housing, and then we have the same guy build every center section. And even though he builds them daily he still goes over the spec sheet that comes with every ring and pinion and even then once it is said and done Eric checks the pattern on every gear before it gets boxed up.

We might take longer to build an item but there is a reason, and one of those reasons is because we are constantly evolving our product on a daily basis. I keep contact with all our customers after the sale and randomly call different people just to ask how our product is performing for them and if they have any problems or questions.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

how well with it do road racing with the short TA?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
how well with it do road racing with the short TA?
We have had customers say it has not bothered them but we discuss the long arm more when it comes to handling features. Our 10/12 torque arm is a short arm and seems to do rather well from the feedback we have received about its handling and driving characteristics. A short arm tends to hit the tires a little harder than a long arm.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
The chart below is from GM High-Tech magazine. Take a look at how much less horsepower the Moser M9 uses compared to a Strange S60! Bob

TABLE OF REAR-WHEEL HORSEPOWER/TORQUE CHANGES:
Car Rear Old HP/TQ Rear New HP/TQ % Loss
Jensen Camaro Stock 3.42 412.5/390.0 Strange S60 3.73 397.9/376.0 3.5/3.6
Werner Trans Am Stock 3.42 441.2/432.3 Moser M9 3.70 436.6/428.6 1.0/0.9

Link to Moser M9 article in GM High-Tech. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...nds/index.html
So then all the data and tests showing otherwise are unacceptable..

The entire reason strange made the drop out 12 bolt was only because of the hp gain....
Strange dropped the ball not making a D-60 drop out, but that has been taken up by another company as of late

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I wouldn't be so concerned on which rear end robs more HP as I would be on who is actually setting up the center section. There is HP to be lost by not setting up the center section properly.

That should be something people consider when ordering a new rear end, do you want the people selling you the rear end the same people building and setting it up or someone that is hired in to do work and punches the clock and leaves every day when their shift is done no matter if they finished the job they started or not. Then having to deal with multiple people to get your high ticket item taken care of once a problem happens.

Spending this kind of money should be a memorable experience and should be the start of a working relationship between the customer and retailer.

One of the nice things about Midwest Chassis is we have the same guy welding up every housing, and then we have the same guy build every center section. And even though he builds them daily he still goes over the spec sheet that comes with every ring and pinion and even then once it is said and done Eric checks the pattern on every gear before it gets boxed up.

We might take longer to build an item but there is a reason, and one of those reasons is because we are constantly evolving our product on a daily basis. I keep contact with all our customers after the sale and randomly call different people just to ask how our product is performing for them and if they have any problems or questions.

I didn't say either builder is bad, or one has a problem....

Why not offer a D-60 then, then the customer truly has the best options to go with a builder when they have other choices then just 1...

When shopping for a diff it's nice to hear all the issues involved, hp loss, design, why 1 is better...

Someone asks which rear i throw out all the info, who they go with is up to them.
I didn't even get into specifics and all the pros and cons