Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion angle

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinion angle

here is what i have

crank balancer -4.5

drive shaft -5

rear -7

all neg readings, so i have two questions , does this make my angle -12 and it should be around -2.5 to -3

and is the engine and trans ok at -4.5 or should i work on getting the back of the trans up more

working on it now guys so any fast help would be a huge help

thanks guys
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to be 2 degrees to 1.5 degrees below that of the shaft...
Old 09-23-2010, 05:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This is from BMR Fabrications website. Bob

Set the pinion angle using the following method:

Load the rear axle by either setting the car on the ground or letting the car rest on jack stands positioned under the rear axle.

Place the angle finder on the driveshaft and record the angle. The driveshaft angle is negative if it slopes downward towards the rear of the car. The driveshaft angle is positive if it slopes upward towards the rear of the car.

Now place the angle finder on the rear end torque arm mounting plate and record the angle. The rear end angle is negative if it slopes downward towards the front of the car. The rear end angle is positive if it slopes upward towards the front of the car.

Add the two measurements. This is your pinion angle. (Example: -2 rear end angle plus -1 driveshaft angle = -3 degrees)

Turn adjuster to achieve the desired angle.

As a starting point, most F-Bodies seem to like the following initial settings: Automatics: 1-2 degrees negative Manuals: 2-3 degrees negative

Please refer to www.bmrfabrication.com to view the video for setting the pinion angle.

Once pinion angle has been set, tighten all jam nuts. Verify that torque arm mounting bolts are tight and tighten the rear cross bolts attaching the rod-ends to the torque arm mounting bracket.

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website