Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Who has a 12 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has a 12 bolt?

What problems have you had with it? Did you put it in yourself, where did you get it from, did you need some extra parts if so what?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my Moser through Thunder Racing....my b/f installed it, he's done a few of them. I think the U joint and something else he had to do to get it centered. I only got the 1310 yoke the stock driveshaft fits it fine and it holds, we have a few friends launching on spray and have no problems. If you get the 1350 yoke I believe you have to modify or get a custom driveshaft.

I will ask him what he had to do to get it fit 100%......it's now got a good 40 or so passes on in since it went in back in Dec.

No problems, got the Eaton Posi w/ 4.10' s and 33 spline axles...it's nice and quiet.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

i've had no problems with my moser 12-bolt. has over 40k miles on it, been in three different cars, and probably 100+ passes on slicks and tons of abuse on nitto's.

i did all three of the installs and never had to do anything to get it centered. it fit perfectly in every car.

i bought it straight from moser who got it to me in less than 2 weeks!

i had to get my driveshaft modified. i bought the 1350 yoke which takes a bigger u-joint. had to buy a new u-joint and get it put on was all.
also, you might want to see if you can get new swaybar brackets that fit on the bigger rear end. it's a pita to get the stock ones to work with the bigger clamps you have to use around the rear end, if you know what i'm talking about. all in all it's a pretty easy swap. good luck
Old 02-01-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my moser was piece of cake. i put the backing plated and berings on by myself cause no bering press shops were open on sunday. it bolted right in, i used a torch to take the old u-joint out to install the 1350 (napa 447 part #)
Old 02-02-2004, 09:07 AM
8 second mod

I blew my moser in the first 6 good hooking 1.6-1.5 60'
It lasted till i put tires and power to it. Then it twisted 3 axles, and BLEW everything inside apart!
Good luck with rears, alot of guys have problems with every company rears.
Good luck
Old 02-02-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noyzee
I blew my moser in the first 6 good hooking 1.6-1.5 60'
It lasted till i put tires and power to it. Then it twisted 3 axles, and BLEW everything inside apart!
Good luck with rears, alot of guys have problems with every company rears.
Good luck
did you have the 33 spline and 1350 upgrade with the good gears.
never seen any problems with those pulling dozens of 1.4 60's on m6's
Old 02-02-2004, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Strange 12-bolt I bought from TByrne. My experience with both was extremely positive. It bolted right in.

Here is a link that might be helpful: http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/Strange12.htm. I followed it fairly closely but not exactly.

Two things I did that I would suggest:
1) Have it shipped to a business with a loading dock if you have access to one (such as where you work if they don't mind). You will save about $100 compared to home delivery. You also don't have the hassle of making sure that you are home on delivery day.
2) As you take the old one out, sketch out how things were hooked up. I also took a number of photographs. If you want to reuse your old backing plates and reluctor rings (ABS), it will be a month before you do the install. It's easy to have trouble remembering what was where.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

My Boyfriend twisted 2 axles....with only 390 RWHP and we faulted the axle splines on not being hardended properly.

The new axles have been fine even spraying a 150 shot off the line on Hoosier QTPs'