Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Howl/vibration. TCI auto or 10-bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howl/vibration. TCI auto or 10-bolt?

I have a 98 H/C/I with a newer TCI Super Street fighter 4L60. Long tubes, etc.

I bought the car several months ago, and it runs about 12.3 on the old nittos. When I bought the car, I noticed a light howl when you coast.

It was hard to tell if its the rear or transmission. I just put a BMR cross member on the car with the torque are relocation bracket and new energy suspension bushing.

At home, I run a MT 275/60 daily. But I am driving the car out of town for work and put the stock 16"s on it with almost new ZR rated street tires.

I noticed that its howling a little louder on the road trip, and slightly now when the cruise is on at 75 along with a slight vibration.

I was thinking this may be the tires, and was going to have them balanced tomorrow.

Anything else I should check on? UJoints, rear-end dope level?

I have access to a buddies garage and could do some basic maitenance before driving 900 miles back home.

The rear is a stock 10 bolt with a set of 3:73s with about 2k on them.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

I have the torque arm in the middle of the vertical bracket on the BMR torque arm if that matters, but I dont think it would.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like I have a couple different issues know I did a little reading

#1- Pinion angle. With the new BMR cross member with torque arm mount, I just bolted it somewhere in the middle. I didn't put an angle finder on it, so it looks like this has to be set correctly to minimize vibration.

#2- Gear Howling- This is a seperate issue. The guys I bought the car from just told me 3.73's were setup with 0.005 backlash and have always howled when you left off the gas.

So I'm just going to drive it and dont worry about it until it breaks. But I will have the tires checked for balance for ***** and giggles.