Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

swapped my 10 bolt, abs question

Old 10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapped my 10 bolt, abs question

I have a 98 firebird with abs. The speed sensor in my original rear end was mounted in the pumpkin and ran off the ring in the gear. The 10 bolt that I put in has each sensor plugged into the bearings. I swapped the harness, it plugged right in to where the old speed sensor did, and the harness now runs off to each of the bearings. Now, When I start the car, all the lights check themselves out. If I go slow, there is no problems. When I get above 20mph, the low trac light comes on, anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute of driving. obviously the speedometer is off, and I am wondering if the abs will be recognized and work once I recalibrate the speedometer. Or do I need to swap abs units to work with the re-end I put in. OR is there just a chance one of the sensors in the rear end is bad? Tommorow at work, ill hook it up to the scanner, im assuming since the low trac light comes on first that its showing irratic signals in both rear wheels. I know its not a circuit short because it checks itself out, and doesnt even come on until I get up to a decent speed. Any input is appreciated.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Launching!

what harness did you swap, im looking to do a similar swap but everything ive read says you cant just swap the electronics.. from what ive read you will need to have the hole for the sensor drilled out on the top of the pumpkin and then the reluctor wheel pressed up the between the gears and the carrier I believe. I dont know if anyone has tried swapping over the entire abs module though, but just the wiring wont work.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Launching!

I swapped the harness that goes to the speed sensor on top of the pumpkin, then replaced it with the harness that runs with the brake lines to each wheel bearing. I may play around with it and see what I can do to get it to work, otherwise Ill just delete it out.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you went from a 3 channel (ABS only) to a 4 channel (ABS and TCS). I don't think they are interchangeable

Search this Thread