Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

moser 12 bolt noise!!! not the usual gear whine!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moser 12 bolt noise!!! not the usual gear whine!

start off by some info on the rear...the rear is supposed to have 10k on it bought it with 6 put 4 on it....its a moser 12 bolt 33 spline axles eaton hd posi unit no cclips 3.42 gears....the car that its in makes 603 to the wheels its a procharged car

well i recently started to hear a noise from my rear the sound of it sounds kinda like the driveshaft at the ujoint bangs against something just on a smaller scale it only does it with no load on the car at slow speeds when turning either direction....for example if i turn into a parking space and have the clutch in or the car in neutral it does it....so after some investigating i pulled the cover off and put it in gear and had a friend sping the one wheel when he does that the spider gears have alot of movement and also almost looks like it was cocking a little and then it would make a noise that carried through the driveshaft which is what i have been hearing...my question is will putting new clutches in it fix my problem?....both spider gears that the pin go through are the ones that have alot of movement i think...i also pulled the pin and seen nothing wrong with that

any info would be greatly appreciated cause the guy who is good around here is kinda cocky cause he knows hes good and when i took it to him he couldnt give me a straight answer as to if putting new clutches in and shimming the unit will fix my problem
Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

An eaton HD posi should not be worn out in 10K miles.

There is a procedure to check if the posi clutches are still good. It involves holding one wheel stationary, while measuring the torque (with a needle style torque wrench) that is required to turn the other wheel.

Before you go rebuilding your differential, make sure it is in fact bad. Spider gears will naturally have some lash, so its important to properly test the diff to see if its still good.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its definetly more play in the gears than there should be i put the car in gear and tried spinning the wheel and when it did spin is when it made the noise that carried through the driveshaft and you can only spin it so far cause it looked like the gear was cocked and not allowing it to turn anymore