Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Axle Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Axle Noise

Just finished rebuilding the rear in my T/A. The Auburn broke so I replaced it with a Detroit TrueTrac and a set of used 3.42 gears.

The problem is when the car is driven, at any speed above about 10MPH, there is an audible "clicking" sound that comes from the rear axle area. It is in time with the wheels, meaning for each wheel revolution one "click" can be heard. I pulled the rear back apart, double checked everything, and it all seems fine. The gears were bought used, so there are a couple of marks on the outside edge of the ring gear, but nothing major, and no marks on the contact area.

For the techs, the rear is set to .006 backlash and 25 in/lbs preload on the pinion bearings. All bearings are new Timken bearings. I used a solid pinion spacer with shims to set pinion preload. Gear mesh pattern was good.

After having this thing apart twice, I'm really stumped here. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Out of curiosity, what kind of rear and does it sound like cards in the spokes of a wheel?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Out of curiosity, what kind of rear and does it sound like cards in the spokes of a wheel?
Its a regular old 7.5 10 bolt with 3.42 gears and a TrueTrac.

And yes, it does sound like a car in a bicycle spoke when as the wheels rotate...