Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torque arm mount... trans or tunnel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque arm mount... trans or tunnel?

What is considered to be best??? I have an Edelbrock non adjustable torque arm right now. Can I use it with a new trans mount keeping it off the trans tailpiece? Or do I really need an adjustable arm???
Should I go with a tunnel mount and shorter adjustable arm?... I have not read whether one or the other is more beneficial to traction or strength and I have searched.
This is with an M6 and S60 rear.
Thanks
any opinions appreciated.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I suggest getting the torque arm off the transmission, as when the torque arm is mounted to the transmission it places a huge stress load on the transmissions tailshaft. Broken transmission mounts and even cracked tailshafts have resulted from this stress.
An adjustable torque arm allows the pinion angle to be adjusted to optimize the pinion angle for varying conditions, and I recommend going this route. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to same the same thing get it off the trans .. I have heard of guys breaking the tailshaft on the trans on dyno runs
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You can buy the relocation crossmember from BMR or UMI that uses a stock full length torque arm but mounts it to the crossmember instead of the tail of the tranny. They are about $240.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You can buy the relocation crossmember from BMR or UMI that uses a stock full length torque arm but mounts it to the crossmember instead of the tail of the tranny. They are about $240.
This is what I was planning to do.

Also, Bob, with using a non-adjustable torque arm, can't I still adjust angle by using the different mounting points on new crossmember plus adjusting length of lower control arms?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trik396
This is what I was planning to do.

Also, Bob, with using a non-adjustable torque arm, can't I still adjust angle by using the different mounting points on new crossmember plus adjusting length of lower control arms?
This would change pinion angle as well but isn't recommended, by moving the torque arm height you are also changing suspension angles such as the instant center point. I would recommend a adjustable torque arm with the relocation crossmember, it allows everything to be set up properly and doesn't leave you regretting not buying adjustable in the first place. Also since you have any aftermarket rear end the adjustable torque arm becomes more important, it insures your drive line angle is correct.

Both the short torque arm or long torque arm would work just fine. Deciding what type is based on how you drive the car and what you use it for?

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
This would change pinion angle as well but isn't recommended, by moving the torque arm height you are also changing suspension angles such as the instant center point. I would recommend a adjustable torque arm with the relocation crossmember, it allows everything to be set up properly and doesn't leave you regretting not buying adjustable in the first place. Also since you have any aftermarket rear end the adjustable torque arm becomes more important, it insures your drive line angle is correct.

Both the short torque arm or long torque arm would work just fine. Deciding what type is based on how you drive the car and what you use it for?

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Thanks Ryan... my entire suspension is slowly becoming entirely UMI... matter of fact I have a trans crossmember with relocation bracket that just left PA today. So I'm going to see if my non-adjustable arm will work and if not it'll be a UMI adjustable full length.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trik396
Thanks Ryan... my entire suspension is slowly becoming entirely UMI... matter of fact I have a trans crossmember with relocation bracket that just left PA today. So I'm going to see if my non-adjustable arm will work and if not it'll be a UMI adjustable full length.
Thanks
Thank you and sounds great. The Non-Adj. Edelbrock should bolt right up to the crossmember with no issues.

If you need any help just let us know. Thanks again!
Ryan
Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a UMI Trans Cross member relocation for the T-56 and it definitly helps to get the TQ arm off the tailshaft. Not all Y pipes clear so you will have to check. Not a big issue, but something to be aware of.

Quick Reply: Torque arm mount... trans or tunnel?