Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke axle in 10 bolt.. low $..options

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broke axle in 10 bolt.. low $..options

Ok, I broke an axle with a stock horsepower M6 at the track at about a 4k launch with et/streets. Expected.. Now since winter is coming and the cars going up my question is, if i put the right stuff in the 10 will it hold? I dont really have 3k to spend on a 12 or 9" or believe me I would. My car is never gonna be anything more than cam/boltons... Can a moser axle'd and better center section'd 10 last in a cam only car or will it eventully break too???? I know this is asked a lot and I did some reading and read mostly that a 10 will eventully break no matter whats in it. My car is not gonna be wild though and is not gonna be at the track more than a few times a year so Im just wondering.. I dont want to do this again, should I just keep the car in the garage til I can afford a 12? Thanks in advance..

Last edited by b0b; 10-31-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

A 10 bolt wont hold behind an M6 while "launching" Its a time bomb. I don't care what you put inside of it.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Teching In

my ten bolt has held surprisingly long(since the rebuild) but i only launched at idle. Its not the power that breaks it, its when u hit hard with the clutch.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

I would buy a used junkyard axle or one off ebay..thats about all a 10 bolt is worth behind a stick. If you get stronger axles than something else will break launching that hard. Start saving
Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
I would buy a used junkyard axle or one off ebay..thats about all a 10 bolt is worth behind a stick. If you get stronger axles than something else will break launching that hard. Start saving
Yep the 10 bolt is a PITA if youre doing any kind of hard launching. You always gotta worry about it breaking. Its not a matter of if, its WHEN cuz it will eventually. That being said, I put some pretty hard launches on mine but I did put new bearings, crush sleeve & a used posi unit in it. Mine had a brand new posi unit when I bought it but the retainer clips for the clutch discs fell out & hogged out the case so that new unit lasted only 3 months. I dont think that was a common problem but with any kind of power or abuse they dont last. I got tired of babying the launches, 1.8 60 times, not running a stickier tire than a Nitto DR cuz I am afraid to break the 10 bolt so I ordered a 9 inch rear. Its a good chunk of money but I shouldnt have to worry about breaking now.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b0b
Ok, I broke an axle with a stock horsepower M6 at the track at about a 4k launch with et/streets. Expected.. Now since winter is coming and the cars going up my question is, if i put the right stuff in the 10 will it hold? I dont really have 3k to spend on a 12 or 9" or believe me I would. My car is never gonna be anything more than cam/boltons... Can a moser axle'd and better center section'd 10 last in a cam only car or will it eventully break too???? I know this is asked a lot and I did some reading and read mostly that a 10 will eventully break no matter whats in it. My car is not gonna be wild though and is not gonna be at the track more than a few times a year so Im just wondering.. I dont want to do this again, should I just keep the car in the garage til I can afford a 12? Thanks in advance..

3K??? you can get into 9" and others for just under 2k with a spool
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Teching In

I got a 10 bolt sittin at the house, I put my 9" in, make me an offer! 850 896 9985
Old 11-02-2010, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

You can Perfume that pig with a few parts, like a t/a inspection cover, arp studs and a solid pinion spacer to help a little, but it's still not going to be enough for an m6 with slicks.

I've seen people pull 1.47 60's with a 10bolt through an auto. But that's a very rare occasion