Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is it possible to use any 12 bolt?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:58 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is it possible to use any 12 bolt?

Reason i ask is i have a 12 bolt rear end sitting on the floor in the shop. So i was wondering why i couldn't put the camaro brake plates on it, weld new shock mounts etc... and then make some torque arm plates and weld them to the pumpkin so i can use this axle? It would be virtually free and i have the abilities do fab this stuff up, has anyone ever done this before?

The only difficult part i see is making ears that i could weld to the pumpkin for the torque arm. The shock mounts i would assume i could buy from a manufacture then weld them onto my axle tubes. I'm assuming there is a reason why guys don't do this a lot????
Old 11-13-2010, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do anything if you have what you need to do it as far as the mounts they can be cut off the stock ten bolt and all of the angles that you need are also on the ten bolt ... the TA mount may be a little fun to do and you have to use nickle rod to weld it onto the cast the rest of the welding can be done with a mig welder
Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpr
Reason i ask is i have a 12 bolt rear end sitting on the floor in the shop. So i was wondering why i couldn't put the camaro brake plates on it, weld new shock mounts etc... and then make some torque arm plates and weld them to the pumpkin so i can use this axle? It would be virtually free and i have the abilities do fab this stuff up, has anyone ever done this before?

The only difficult part i see is making ears that i could weld to the pumpkin for the torque arm. The shock mounts i would assume i could buy from a manufacture then weld them onto my axle tubes. I'm assuming there is a reason why guys don't do this a lot????
Being a chassis builder a fabricator and a welder I will tell You I encourage thinking and working outside the box, thats the roots of hot rodding! I have seen some of the finest cars built by indivuals in their home garage. Detailed to the max doing things nearly impossible to hire.

That said there are times the thought process goes to far outside the box entering an area of potential and/or probable failure. In my professional opinion this mod falls in that category. There are lots of people that weld cast iron on a daily basis but only a handful that would be capable of this, bet they would also tell You there is no guarantee it will hold.

If You decide to make a rear end compatible with Your torque arm at least begin with a steel housing like a 9" that has been tried and proven to work well with this modification.

Hope this helps!
Carl
Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I'm too stubborn, but for some reason i absolutely refuse to put a FORD 9" rear end on a chevy... just doesn't seem right. If i end up buying a rear end I'm using a 12 bolt.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its a 9 inch...not a Ford 9". we manufacture 9 inch rearends specific to the f-body and there is not 1 stock Ford part in it. you said it the best... there's a reason why most guys aren't doing this... if you are stuck on a 12 bolt then that's fine, as long as its ok for your application. Strange manufactures the finest 12 bolt out thera nd have one made for a direct bolt-in replacement in the f-body cars.

Search this Thread