Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do i have lsd? how to know

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i have lsd? how to know

So ive been searching all over this site and the general internet and cant find a defininte answer. do 98-02 ls1 cars have limited slip? ive been hearing auburn hear and there and i even think my car spins both wheels but that could be my imagination. so mine is a 2002 z28. do i have lsd? auburn? shed some spec light please. anybody. i cant believe its soo hard to find
Old 11-14-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

yep. if you have an ls1 f-body, you have a posi rear.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

LSD = posi = both tires should spin in "most cases"

One wheel can and will spin more or less depending on circumstances, however, if functioning correctly, it should leave 2 basically identical marks when going in a straight line.

Some people confuse lsd or posi with a locker which is where the wheels are actually locked together when going straight. This is not the case with a posi or LSD rear. An open diff, think most V6 f bodies and non-performance vehicles, will one wheel peel almost all the time, when going straight or around a turn and when in the wet or mud.

All V-8 3rd and 4th gen f bodies that I have heard of had a posi rear, either Auburn or Zexel torsen. Auburn being a clutch type posi, and the torsen being a gear driven posi. I believe the torsen was standard on 99 and up cars.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
LSD = posi = both tires should spin in "most cases"

One wheel can and will spin more or less depending on circumstances, however, if functioning correctly, it should leave 2 basically identical marks when going in a straight line.

Some people confuse lsd or posi with a locker which is where the wheels are actually locked together when going straight. This is not the case with a posi or LSD rear. An open diff, think most V6 f bodies and non-performance vehicles, will one wheel peel almost all the time, when going straight or around a turn and when in the wet or mud.

All V-8 3rd and 4th gen f bodies that I have heard of had a posi rear, either Auburn or Zexel torsen. Auburn being a clutch type posi, and the torsen being a gear driven posi. I believe the torsen was standard on 99 and up cars.
Yes! thanks for the reply. im familar with a lsd. my old 240 had one and it was great for drifting. so we have torsen type. cool. this will help when time to change lubes
Old 11-14-2010, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

You can also check by jacking the rear end up and turning one tire. If the other tire spins in the same direction, you have LSD!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

yeah thats another way. wasnt trying to do that first since its like 20 degrees out. but any word on the zexel torsen? is it pretty good?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CamanLS1
You can also check by jacking the rear end up and turning one tire. If the other tire spins in the same direction, you have LSD!
No, absolutely wrong. A torsen will reverse spin the other tire. Thats not the definitive way to tell. Two black marks is
Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 397 Likes on 289 Posts

All years had an option for limited slip but not all are the same.

1998 used an Auburn cone type differential (some people call this posi) like the LT1 cars of previous years. As it wears the clutches hold less and less torque until the differential behaves just like an open differential.

1999-2002 used a Zexel Torsen worm gear limited slip differential. It's basically a mild locker and it doesn't wear like the posi. It behaves like an open differential until wheel slip causes it to lock up. It is stronger than the Auburn posi and works pretty well for drag racing (if the rear axle lives). The only way you can tell if you have a Zexel Torsen is to either burn two rubber strips down the road, or remove the rear cover to visually verify.

SLP, who built the SS and Firehawk cars, also had an option for a heavy duty Eaton carrier. This was basically a more aggressive posi with more holding power than the Auburn. I don't know what years this was available.

Quick Reply: Do i have lsd? how to know