Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4th Gen F Body Owners with aftermarket rear ends please enlighten me!

Old 11-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen F Body Owners with aftermarket rear ends please enlighten me!

Howdy all!
I have a 2001 T/A with an LS6 engine, T56 with LS7 clutch, full bolt ons, full chassis/suspension and she put down 400hp and 385 tq to the rear. I currently have the stock 10 bolt with a 373 gear ratio. The car does have TCS as well.

I plan on purchasing a whole new rear end set up seeing I have already blown up the stock 10 bolt once already. I was lucky that she was still under warranty at the time, so it was fixed for free. Now I feel the rear is going to grenade soon yet again, so I would like to know what you all are running and or think is the best rear end for me to buy for my application.

Eventually I plan on putting a Procharger D1SC in my car, so I need something to handle that along with slicks eventually as well. I also want something that I can still reliably drive from Chicago to Los Angeles and not have to worry about it. Driving wise I do long cruises, drag race at the local track on the weekend in the summer and the occasional parking lot or garage drifting

My options that I currently have in mind are the Strange S60, Strange 12 Bolt, Moser 12 Bolt, Moser 9" or completely build up my stock rear (I don't think this last choice is an option or the best idea seeing I have a M6 car, but if there are any people rocking a stock 10 bolt built up, I would like to know from them if it was worth it or not at all).

Lastly, I would like to know if there are any pros or cons between one or the other and if there are any new things arising from purchasing a larger rear end, such as noise and power loss for example. And also, are there other items I will have to purchase along with the aftermarket rear end in order to use it, such as a new custom length driveshaft. Thank you all very much for dropping in and helping a fellow GM Owner.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 AM
10 Second Club

s60 or 9 inch
Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would call MWC up and they can get you what you need and nothing more. Which I went with there Fab 9 inch, You start priceing options on other rears you find that the MWC is not that much more or even a better price. Just depends on how extreme you want to go.
Attached Thumbnails 4th Gen F Body Owners with aftermarket rear ends please enlighten me!-img00026-20100917-2126.jpg   4th Gen F Body Owners with aftermarket rear ends please enlighten me!-img00029-20100917-2128.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

I would recommend a 9" if you'll be driving alot; unless you don't care about losing traction control and abs. Good luck with your decision. :-)
Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Launching!

i would recommend a 9" from mwc also. the pictures of these rears do not do them justice. the fabrication and quality cant be put into words. same goes for the customer service they offer. i was so impressed with my 9", that i will be going back to mwc for all my front end parts and a cage. if nothing else, i would recommend at least calling mwc to see what they can offer before ordering anywhere else
Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 AM
TECH Regular

i would personally wait for the wavetrac to come out for the s60. i'd keep the 3.73s if you're gonna supercharge it as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...r-M9-Video.htm

Take a look at the two above links. For what you are going to be doing I would go with the Moser fabricated rear with a Wavetrac. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by navybluephoenix
Howdy all!
I have a 2001 T/A with an LS6 engine, T56 with LS7 clutch, full bolt ons, full chassis/suspension and she put down 400hp and 385 tq to the rear. I currently have the stock 10 bolt with a 373 gear ratio. The car does have TCS as well.

I plan on purchasing a whole new rear end set up seeing I have already blown up the stock 10 bolt once already. I was lucky that she was still under warranty at the time, so it was fixed for free. Now I feel the rear is going to grenade soon yet again, so I would like to know what you all are running and or think is the best rear end for me to buy for my application.

Eventually I plan on putting a Procharger D1SC in my car, so I need something to handle that along with slicks eventually as well. I also want something that I can still reliably drive from Chicago to Los Angeles and not have to worry about it. Driving wise I do long cruises, drag race at the local track on the weekend in the summer and the occasional parking lot or garage drifting

My options that I currently have in mind are the Strange S60, Strange 12 Bolt, Moser 12 Bolt, Moser 9" or completely build up my stock rear (I don't think this last choice is an option or the best idea seeing I have a M6 car, but if there are any people rocking a stock 10 bolt built up, I would like to know from them if it was worth it or not at all).

Lastly, I would like to know if there are any pros or cons between one or the other and if there are any new things arising from purchasing a larger rear end, such as noise and power loss for example. And also, are there other items I will have to purchase along with the aftermarket rear end in order to use it, such as a new custom length driveshaft. Thank you all very much for dropping in and helping a fellow GM Owner.
You ask good questions and are approaching this with an open mind which is smart! There is no "one size fits all" in this situation. If You would like to discuss Your application in detail and rec. some down to earth reccomendations give me a call. Not all my suggestions revolve around making a sale, I have sent potential customers to my competion in an effort to get that customer a product better suited to His needs.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go with a 9" to save weight and def go with the wavetrac if you actually drive the car. I have about 1200 miles on my wavetrac in my MWC 9" and I LOVE IT! the car always feels like its ready to go, completely connected up back there and ready for whatever i throw at it. I cant tell you what its like high speed turning, my MTs and ARB dont really allow for that but low speed freeway on ramps low low low speed canyon cruising its amazing to feel it just push the car and go where the 10 bolt felt a little loose
Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm

I have a lot of information at the above link that may help you out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on going S60. 9" rears seem to be quite a big pricier, and the Dana 60 is stronger than even the most well built fab 9" rear. Sure it's a pig, and heavier, but unless you're building an all out race car, the extra weight really isnt a concern. And the piece of mind of knowing the S60 is good for something like 1500 hp is worth it in my mind.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for the S60. I trying to hold out for the wavetrac. But for the price and holding capacity it is a great buy IMO.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

Just got myh S60 in with 4.10's. That thing is a beeeeeasst! I love it. It's like a different car.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 397 Likes on 289 Posts

A 12 bolt is the most efficient for fuel economy and power transfer but not the strongest. A 9" will be the last one you put in. An S60 seems like over kill unless it is less expensive than a 9".
Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It sounds like you could benefit from one of our custom built housing to your personal needs. If you would like please PM me or give me a call.

I would suggest looking at our Watts link option, we are the only rear end out there that offers a fabricated Watts link built onto the housing. Our housing also comes with factory style sway bar mounts, no muffler clamps needed to hold on your factory or upgraded factory style bolt on sway bar. We do offer an anti roll bar also.

I wouldn't say an S-60 is stronger than a fabricated nine inch such as ours but they are a nice rearend for sure and we can match or try to beat anyone's prices on them and Moser product as well.

I suggest a good driveshaft. The stock one will work with a conversion u-joint with our housing, but ends up a bit short and is too weak for any hard launches, especially w/ a m6 car.

The true fabricated rearend housing features components such as a drain plug, 4 hole relocator style lca brackets, stock style anti-sway bar mounts, brake line clips, hose mounts and e-brake cable brackets(98-02) all as standard equipment at no extra charge.

The chrome-moly double adjustable torque arm is included with the package and is exclusive to this housing. Short(tunnel mounted) and long(trans xmember mounted) versions available. Both are the same cost, the short arm cross members come's with a driveshaft loop installed(available with dual exhaust), the long arm comes with a new trans cross member, but no loop. We do have a tunnel form-fitting driveshaft loop available for the long arms or any other configuration. It is profiled to the floor pan and does not interfere with exhaust or ground clearance.

The base package rearend with the aluminum center section upgrade will weigh about the same as the stock 10 bolt. The nodular case is only 15 pounds heavier. Due to the design and construction, the chrome-moly adjustable torque arm is some of the lightest and strongest on the market. The complete rearend with the aluminum case upgrade and a spool would actually be lighter then the stock 10 bolt.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I would also like to add that we have many of these rear ends out in daily drivers to deep single digit vehicles and that is mainly because we can build a housing to not only suit your budget but your needs, we are not locked down to just one manufactures parts as we are direct with most manufactures and we use that to benefit our customers when it comes to completing the package to our in house built fabricated nine inch packages.

One story I like to tell people about how versatile our rear ends really are, a local customer of ours used to deliver pizzas in his car with all our suspension pieces and rear end and would drive his car to the track on the weekend and run bottom 11's and drive it back home which is almost a two hour drive one way to get to the track.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a moser 9". I love it and when you pull that 10 bolt out and set it next to a 9" or S60 or something you will realize what a tiny crappy rearend our cars came with from the factory. Also one thing I noticed and hate about the 10 bolt is the C clips. I always knew what they were and have heard, and seen, horror stories about them coming out but when I actually saw one for the first time, I was like "never again". I didnt order mine from MWC but I have heard nothing but good things about them and if I had the money to buy one of their custom fab rearends, I would in a heartbeat.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Teching In

i chose the strange 12 bolt for a few reasons. its still a gm based unit....not that it matters a lot but some might care. factory brakes bolt right on. its the lightest of the casted units. they're 33 spline axles and good to 900+hp. gearsets are cheapest of the bunch. easy gear inspection and fluid change. but the main reason was the torque arm mount. no stupid extra brackets and arms. its molded just like the factory rear and bolts right in no problem. all things equal, it was also the cheapest in comparison and it came with a mark williams yoke and wheelie bar mounts already on it.
on another project i bought a currie 9" and wasn't impressed for the money so this choice wasn't too hard. the currie was lacking in fit, finish and features and was expensive for what you got. i could have got a strange 12 bolt equivalent for almost $500 less. felt like a dummy.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

To help people understand so there is no confusion.

factory brakes bolt right on
The factory brakes bolt up to all the F-body specific housing packages from Strange along with our rear end package. I figure I should put that out there since that is a common question we get.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
The factory brakes bolt up to all the F-body specific housing packages from Strange along with our rear end package. I figure I should put that out there since that is a common question we get.
send a MWC 9" to my house and I will test your hypothesis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4th Gen F Body Owners with aftermarket rear ends please enlighten me!