Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Little bit of play in my driveshaft, time for a rebuild?

Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little bit of play in my driveshaft, time for a rebuild?

If I lock up the E brake I can twist my driveshaft like a quarter inch in each direction, is that bad? What should I do? A mechanic told me not to drive the car at all because stuff might start breaking even if I take it easy. I seriosly know nothing about rear ends, its not really making any noise. Am I in any danger of stuff breaking while I'm just cruising down the road. Is all I need a complete rebuild kit? Sounds like a good excuse to put some new gears in
Old 11-22-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

has that little bit of play just occurred recently ?
a rearend does have slack that has to be taken out before the vehicle starts to move.
pinion to ring gear slack-tiny but exists,torsen internal workings slack,axle splines into the Torsen slack.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Launching!

I dont know If it has recently happenend, I just now jacked up the car and played around with the driveshaft to see if there was any play in it. My girlfriends dad (mechanic) looked at it and told me there's oil leaking out the back and I shouldn't drive it, but I read somewhere that its normal for it to leak oil from the cover and from the other side. I just recently changed the rear end oil and I know how to do that for sure but when I took the cover off and looked inside I might as well be looking into a human brain lol, I seriously know nothing about rear ends! The mechanic asked me is this a "posi" and I had no idea what he was talking about "shrug" and he went on to tell me need a new spider gear and pin or some ****, again I dont know what he's talking about. The reason I'm even looking at my rearend is because I have a little hissing sound when turning right and only to the right, no hissing when appling brakes. My brother in law with a 99 ws6 said what you said, "the driveshaft might have a little play" he told me to replace the axle bearings and see if that fixes the sound. I dont really think anything is seriosly wrong with my rear but Mr. mechanic is saying there is, would'nt there be some roaring or something if it was about to go out? Its perfectly quiet except for the hiss hiss hiss when turning right.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

02 M6 WS6 has a 'Torsen' posi.
when you took the cover off,there was no loose metal pieces,right ?
find someone that has an 99-02 M6 Camaro/Firebird and take them for a ride to see if they feel/hear anything unusual.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Launching!

No nothing big just little metal shavings on the inside of the cover.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

on the magnet that's glued on inside the cover ?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Launching!

yea there
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Launching!

heres the hissing sound you can hear it good between 45-48 seconds in but you kind of have to turn it up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k04nf4zM_nQ
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Launching!

You can't just break stuff in your rear just driving normal can you? If there is something wrong is the deluxe rear end rebuild kit from ws6store or jawsgear all I need to fix it? I need my car right now but i'm nervous to drive it because of what the mechanic said. HELP!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Launching!

What is a spider gear and how would you know if its messed up?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't hear anything out of the ordinary and doesn't sound, from your description, that anything is going to let loose soon. A little leak is not normal for most rears but for a 10 bolt in an F body it's almost mandatory.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

02 WS6 would have a Torsen 'posi' and would not have 'spider' gears.
Auburn and Eaton 'posi's' have spider gears.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Launching!

The auburn has the yellow springs on the inside right? Ok I misunderstood the mechanic he was saying I dont really need spider gears just the "pins" because he believes they're worn out and thats whats causing the play or looseness. Sorry for the crappy video, the sound is pretty noticable if you're actually riding in the car but my phone cant seem to pick it up
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Restricted User

You would think with all the motorsports down there you guys would have some competent mechanics...

I know we lost a few shops to NC.

checking the shaft the way you are is wrong...

You have to see if there is any movement at the joint, what you are doing is checking the slack in the driveline.

Hold the shaft and then the end yoke and twist them opposite of each other, and then if you have movement at U-JOINT it needs to be replaced, then do the same at the front, turn the shaft opposite of the slip yoke, and movement at the U-JOINT means it needs to be replaced.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Launching!

my mechanic checked the u joint and said it was good. Could worn out pins be causing the hissing sound I'm hearing when turning right? you cant tell in my video but the sound relates to how fast I'm going, if I'm going slow theres a pause between each little hiss, if I'm going fast its just "sss sss sss sss sss"
Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Why don't you get your girlfriend's dad "the mechanic" to ride with you and listen? If you dont hear any type of gear/bearing whine, or dont have any clunks coming from back there I would just drive it. And if it does have a little gear whine, I would still drive it.

Last edited by Kevin01Z28; 11-23-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Launching!

he did ride with me, I plan on driving it til something breaks I guess or until I can figure out what parts to order to get rid of the noise its getting worse and really annoying.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a U-joint or maybe some parinoia, If its only a 1/4" of play i would say thats normal.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by xricer
A mechanic told me not to drive the car at all because stuff might start breaking even if I take it easy.
Sounds like an idiot to me
Old 11-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Launching!

That wasn't word for word what he said lol he was alot more specific than that. I wont say anything bad about him because I date his daughter and he has helped me out tons with my car for free. Sometimes I question stuff he says, he's one of those old school shade tree mechanic guys he's not dumb just maybe not quite up to par with newer cars and computer tuning and all that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Little bit of play in my driveshaft, time for a rebuild?